Adding power steering to a CRX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

projectxspeed

Is it possible to add power steering to a crx by swapping parts? If so which steering rack would I use? Or is this just a one of those anything is possible with enough $$$.

it can be done ....but i have to ask. WHY??? the car is easy to steer and very responsive with the manual rack....i wouldnt waste the money and time

Originally posted by projectxspeed@Jun 19 2004, 02:04 AM
I am thinking of auto-x and I want all the turning power i can get.

I autocross with my rex and there's no need for power sterring.
the car handles and corners just fine with a manual rack.

The car is very responsive, easy to control and I much rather preffer the car the way it is, you get a lot more dynamic feedback. I also think power steering would be over kill, you'd end up going into a corner and most likeley loos control as you'd oversteer you vehicle.

----
if you think you need power steering then your not ready for an autox

I also notice you're still looking for a crx, as for autocross, I wish I didn't have the crx, as any mods done to the vehicle bump you into a class like street prepared that can be very aggressively dominate by the small little fiero's and m3's

If you're only looking for a rex to autocross I'd look into a civic hatchback as after you've done somethings to the car you can still run in a class like street touring

---
if you're looking for one as a daily driver fun to drive car than go for it

use a rack from 90-93 integra. and power steering accessories such as pump and hoses from a 92-95 del sol with a d series motor... thats if your running a d ....if running a b hook up the 90-93 teg stuff.

I am looking for a daily to have fun with. Thus the high revin' motor / lightweight car. I might go to auto-X once in a while but this car will not be religiously deitcated to it.

Don't take this the wrong way but if you need power steering in a crx you need to take the skirt off. I think that my crx with gsr fat fives rims and azeni tires is easier to steer than my friends 2000 ex with stock tires. The only time I could see it being somewhat useful is in parking lots but I never had a problem. I have owned a 4th gen civic for over 5 years and my crx for a year and a half and never had a problem.

power steering on a crx or any 4th gen honda is worthless. plus it steals horse power. it would be a waste of time to put power steering on the rex in my opinion.

"Take the skirt off."

Yeah he should try to lift some weights if a crx is too heavy to turn. Power sterring is a joke. Never liked it. Besides racing is about feeling the road. not avoiding it. Daily driving your auto cross car is good practice in handling but the response will be lessened with power steering. Jesus it's a Honda not a Jaguar.

My crx isn't real hard to turn even at a standstill. When the power steering broke on my old pathfinder, that was HARD to turn. I would save the money and buy something else thats cool imo. :)

Does anyone know how to install a manual steering rack into a civic coupe. When the gsr was swapped into the coupe I didnt do anything about power steering. Now I need to pass inspection and thats one thing I need to do and I dont want power steering

I wanted to do this too but then convince with a new smaller steering wheel and some new rim condoms that I dont need power steering.

I need it to pass inspection. Otherwise I would just say fuck it. I need manual steering mounts but I dont know how to install it.

why do you need it to pass inspection? if the car didnt come with power steering from the factory than why does it have to have it for inspection?

Back