adjusting valves

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GSRCRXsi

Super Moderator
VIP
hey guys i think my valves are outta wack, i can hear ticking under the hood, but im not sure if its the valves or not. ive been hearing this for sometime, and i think this is the cause of my loss in power, and why my car bogs and hesitates sometimes. can the valves cause that? also im not sure if i can do this myself. i was reading the the how to in the articles section and its not very detailed, because i have no idea what its talking about like lock nuts and so forth. whats a feeler guage? how do you use it? and i dont know where half of the stuff is. how much do you think a shop would charge me to do this? what are the longterm effects or having them un adjusted? someone help, because i dont want my car to be slow anymore.

ya that ticking noise is your valves..it costs around 50 to 100 bucks i think to have a shop do your valve adjustment..you will notice better performance after you get them adjusted properly if they need it..i would take it to honda or some shop you trust..cuz i have seen a shop say they adjusted the valves but they didnt..ya you should get it done..it will help performance and that tick noise wont be there as much...one last thing how do you like your new jimfab?

ok, im just not sure who to take it to, cause my honda dealer rapes you on prices, ill look around. but on the jimfab bar, i havent gotten a chance to get it alligned yet. im taking it to get that done tomorrow. i tried to go today but they said they couldnt do it because my car was lowered or some shit. it was just a regular tire place, but i dont care, it was the only place open on a sunday, but ill take it tomorrow, but from what i can tell i like it, its very solid. very strong and rigid.

do it urself, it takes about an hour and u only need a 10 mill and a few feeler gauges, and u get to learn about ur engine. get a hanes and try to do it urself.

yea looks like me and my mechanic friend will be doing it friday. along with my header, and saturday im due for a high flow cat, so it all should be comming together pretty nicely :)

Make sure you do it while it the engine is still warm. I did mine in my ZC a couple of days ago and it got worse. Then i talked to a buddy of mine and he told me that they expand so that is why they actually got worse. Then I did it again and it runs tip-top. I don't work on cars all that much but I did like the other guy said earlier and bought a Hanes manual and it was very detailed and helpful. It took me about maybe an hour and 15 min. I bought a feeler gauge from my brother and I wound up saving like 50 bucks. Later that night my wife and I went and ate a nice steak dinner! :lol:

Originally posted by HWYSTAR 90@Oct 5 2003, 08:06 PM
Make sure you do it while it the engine is still warm. I did mine in my ZC a couple of days ago and it got worse. Then i talked to a buddy of mine and he told me that they expand so that is why they actually got worse. Then I did it again and it runs tip-top. I don't work on cars all that much but I did like the other guy said earlier and bought a Hanes manual and it was very detailed and helpful. It took me about maybe an hour and 15 min. I bought a feeler gauge from my brother and I wound up saving like 50 bucks. Later that night my wife and I went and ate a nice steak dinner! :lol:

no you have to do it when the motor is cool. it states in the helms manual that the engine must be below 100°F.

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi+Oct 5 2003, 05:17 PM-->
HWYSTAR 90
@Oct 5 2003, 08:06 PM

no you have to do it when the motor is cool. it states in the helms manual that the engine must be below 100°F.

:werd:

if your engine is hot/warm you risk warping the bolts/nuts and you will get innaccurate torque readings when you're trying to tighten everything back to spec.

Back