Advice on Rear Sway bar for 91 3 door

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

LudeBoy

Slave to the EF
Just finished my first SCCA Solo2 Autox. Ran a pretty good time and took 3rd in STO. Came in behind a modded M3 and a modded Porsche Boxter. My current setup to pitch the rear end is rear strut tower / Tie bar. I put a set of Parada spec 2's up front and a less sticky tire sumitomo all seasons on the rear. This worked ok but I still had a TON of understeer under partial throttle. I am thinking by making my rear suspension stiffer that it may kick out a few feet and point my front end. I was also considering fabricating an aluminum adj chin spoiler.

I guess my questions are
Will a rear sway bar help me out?
If a rear bar will help what bar would be best? The car does not have one stock.

Thanks guys,

91 Civic 3door 5sp.
Full exhaust / intake
Tokico HP's with H&R Sport springs
Tie bars and Strut bars
Stripped AC out along with rear seats.
2075lbs on a CAT certified Scale

A chin spoiler won't help much, unless its HUGE.. SCCA doesn't generally achieve speeds fast enough for a spoiler to be effective.

civics are notorious for their understeer. a massively stiff rear sway bar would help.. but it doesn't make much sense decreasing traction to gain traction.. Although it will work, I can see you scrubbing off more speed than you would want to.

Sounds like you are driving pretty good to place where you did.. but maybe you should work on braking ane weight shifting a little more?

Yeah definatly have to work on my driving... The boxter beat me by a mere .15 of a second. Pissed me off. I ran a 45.12 he ran a 44.98. No trophy's for 3rd :cry: I think if I was a better driver I could have dipped into the low 44's. I was absolutly smoking the parada's coming out of the corners.

Maybe another suspension mod might help?
Would trying to come closer to a 50/50 weight ratio help my cause?
I could move the battery to the right rear. I have it wired for a system but removed it for the race.

Grab the rear lower control arms and the sway bar from a CRX Si. I would sell you mine, but I'm going to use it on my fiancee's sedan. The brackets from the OEM sway bar should only take 2-4 holes (in the chassis, not LCA) to bolt up (don't have it in front of me) and if you don't have the holes already, I think I remember that they were in a location that would be pretty easy to drill.

Are the rear control arms from the CRX SI a little more sturdy? Would you suggest this over getting a rear sway bar made for a 3 door?

If they are any sturdier, I don't think it would have been by design. I've never played around under a hatch, so I couldn't tell you. From what I know, I think the only hatch that would have had a sway bar would have been the Si as well. I just mentioned the CRX Si as a parts source because it would be the most common vehicle from which to steal your sway bar pieces. If you can get the hatch pieces, they're probably the same.

Back