1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aftermarket Control Arms

Discussion in 'Wheels / Suspension / Tires / Brakes' started by BrutalB83, May 31, 2007.

1. BrutalB83

BrutalB83 Brutal Moderator Moderator VIP

Are aftermarket LCAs only to be used on cars that have a pretty substantial drop?

I know the point of them (besides looking nice) is to help correct camber and allow you to use wider wheels and tires. I recently lowered my car an inch and a half with the Tokico HP kit. I beat up one of the bushings that holds the shock to the lower arm trying to get that bolt out, so I was thinking maybe I should just replace the arms with aftermarket ones instead of paying a machine shop to press that bushing out and install a new one.

Would I be ok with aftermarket LCAs on a modest 1.5" drop? Or would that actually cause the camber to be off?

2. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

i was wondering the same thing.. because i was wanting to run a rear sway and i'd need different LCAs

3. jamesA

jamesA Well known pissed off telephone guy VIP

*pays attention to the potential answer as well*

4. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

afermarket LCA's are just lighter stronger units. they have the holes in them for sway bars. i know the omnipower ones do.

5. BrutalB83

I e-mailed a few companies and got some info on them. Apparently some aftermarket LCAs are either shorter or longer than stock so that they will help to correct camber issues, and then others are the stock size. Megan Racing's LCAs are actually slightly shorter than stock and are specifically designed to fix camber problems, where as Omnipower's LCAs are stock size, so they're pretty much just for the "bling factor" and weight reduction. Oh, and also for mounting sway bars, like Turbo Mirage said. I guess you just have to do your homework and figure out what you need before you buy.

I'm actually kind of tempted to get the Omnipower ones though, they look really nice, weigh about 5 lbs less than stock and they're the only aftermarket LCAs I've seen that have bolt holes for mounting the ABS lines like stock.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
    1 person likes this.
  6. stuntstere

stuntstere Member

I may be wrong, but when you said the the megan lcas are longer to fix camber problems wouldn't that increase the amount of negative camber instead of fixing it. If it was longer wouldn't it push the bottom of your tire out further, thus increasing negative camber?

7. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

yes.. thats why they make shorter ones that help correct camber when your car is dumped out.. so if you're car isnt that low and you want to add camber.. the longer one is the one you'd need

1 person likes this.
  8. BrutalB83

Very true. My mistake. The aftermarket ones would need to be shorter than stock if they're going to fix negative camber issues.

9. jamesA

So after I drop my car 1.5", my Megan Racing LCAs will actually help to correct the camber back to 0?

10. BrutalB83

That's what their website says:

Megan Racing

Oh by the way, I see you've got the h-brace too. You'll have to let me know what you think of that once you get it on. I was thinking about picking one up for my Teg.

11. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

I had one- really really nice. Just don't get one if you're prone to bottoming out your car or hitting crap in the middle of the road- they crush and break easily.

12. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

Most people get them because they want to add a rear sway bar, and some hondas have no mounting points on the factory LCAs, or, the rear shock bolts have rusted solid, and when it bad enough, you end up destroying the factory LCAs trying to get the bolt out. Camber should be corrected via a proper camber kit, not a LCA. LCA's are non-adjustable, so it would be a bad way to attempt to correct camber issues.

Other than that, they reduce unsprung weight, have stiffer bushings for better suspension geometry under load, Allow wider rims to be used, and look pimp from behind.

13. jamesA

haha yeah I don't plan on jumping any RR tracks, and I usually tend to swerve around things. :)

14. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

make sure they come with bushings if that's what you're after..... becuase most don't.

15. jamesA

Mine didn't, but I'm gonna be getting new bolts/nuts/bushings before I do anything.

16. 89crxzc

89crxzc I provide inspiration!

eg and ef lca's are the same so after i put on the teins i will decide if i need them, if so then look for a detailed install post

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted