agghhh...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dustin_m

seriously, school sucks. i am so fuckin unmotivated this semester. i have my architecture studion class, a multimedia class (photoshop and flash, stupid shit), and an autoCAD class. i have already dropped the autoCAD class, cause the studio projects are really time consuming. between work and school, i almost have no tiem for homework. anyone want to pay my way rent through college, and i'll get a 4.0? :p

naah, this sucks though. i seriously feel like college jsut ain't my place. i really deep inside want to follow the path i'm on to become an architect, but god, working at the same time is seriously hard to do. DOHCvtec knows what i'm talking about, i'm pretty sure. the projects are not that hard, but time consuming and so f'ing repetitive. "build a studio you would want to have on xxx plot of land, with xxx sq. ft. " fuck that. give me a real design problem, something that keeps me occupied. not this BS.

seriously, throughout school, i always scored in the 99th percentile on standardized test, so i'm not dumb. i didn't do so well on the SAT, got a 1240. but shit everyone pressures me into college, and i just don't feel right. i mean, i am going to a JC that has a transfer agreement with the architecture school i want to go, so that is probably why i am so burnt out on it.

ya ya, iknow that the only way to having a good career is pretty much to go to college nowdays. i gues i'm just kinda ranting on all this shit. pissed off, hate school, and hate being a poor ass college kid having to ask my mom for cash.

any advice?

long hours aren't a big deal. shit, i wish i could work a good job with long hours right now. the problem is juggling school and work, while trying to keep my head above water with money. San Diego is not by any means a cheap place to live. i have "cheap" rent, $440 a month for my room, plus internet, cable, water and electric. it all comes out to about 500 a month. thats just for a room in a house. i make honestly about 1g a month, which isn't a lot when you consider gas, cell phone, and food. so yea, i can easily work hous on end,a dn go days without sleep, but money and the stress that comes with it is what really is weighing me down.

i wish there was a better place to move. i honestly didn't do good in high school, so thats why i am not going to Cal Poly or something liek that right now. i wish there was a cheaper place to transfer to. but the only other places are out of state. i really don't want to move out of CA. plus, tuition is a hell of a lot more expensive for out of state people.

"build a studio you would want to have on xxx plot of land, with xxx sq. ft."
that actually sounds like something you would have to do as an architect, no?

the projects are not that hard, but time consuming and so f'ing repetitive.
i don't think the problem is no motivation, i think its not challenging enough for you...
it will get better when you transfer out of the junior college...

jeffie is a manager. i dont think he waits tables anymore.

and hell i work for pizza hut making 5.50/hr delivering pizzas but because of tips i still bring home like 300/week. enough to pay my bills and pay for my build shit im doing taking way too long and spending too much money, lol.

You think junior college is boring - wait till you get to real college.

Everything you knew about in highschool - forget it. My organic chemistry class covers a chapter A DAY. Our midterms cover 10 CHAPTERS. Calculus is relatively easy this year, considering I took it senior year - but I get to take adv. calculus concepts next sememster, which should be fun... Next year I start statics and dynamics, adv physics, and other fun stuff.

If it's boring, and easy - just tough it out. Be happy it comes easy to you, because a lot of stuff won't. Just do as good as you can, and try to transfer to a state school. Don't be stupid like me, and go to an out of state, state-run school. I get to pay out the ass for tuition, while RI residents laugh. 33K a year > me.

statistics. god i hated that. did ok in cal 1 and 2, but i took statistics 3 times before i passed with a D-.

lol

statics and dynamics is fun, as well as strength of material and material science

Quoted post[/post]]
statistics. god i hated that. did ok in cal 1 and 2, but i took statistics 3 times before i passed with a D-.

lol
statics, not statistics. big difference. statics is an engineering class based on systems in equilibrium. pretty easy class really.

Quoted post[/post]]
statics and dynamics is fun, as well as strength of material and material science
i enjoyed statics, dynamics, and strength of materials. i love those kinds of classes :)

but im in calc4 (elementary differential equations and boundary value problems) and thermodynamics now. re-taking them actually, they are pretty intense courses. just trying to pass them. calc4 is my last math class i need, and thermo is just dry and boring, although slightly interesting i guess.

Quoted post[/post]]
Try Northern California. Something like Davis, Sac State, or Chico State. Housing is stupid cheap in Sac right now, like $650 a month for a townhouse in downtown, because everyone's moving up my way thanks to our lower cost of living. Example, a new house that cost $250k here would cost almost $1m in the Sacramento area.
I've been debating moving around Sac for the past year. the only thing holding me back is the schools taht are there. i am just an average student as far as grades go. so thers no way i'll get into a school there. the only architecture schools up there are Berkely and i think maybe a couple others, i just don't know where to find a list of CA architecture schools. i was seriously gonna change my major, but i don't think i'd be happy in the end.

my aunt lives in Winters, jsut outsideof Sac, so i could live there until i wanted to get my own place, which i would actually be able to afford up there.

yea so im still thinkin about it, if only i knew of a school to go to.

Quoted post[/post]]
Chico State.

Just reminded me of a buddy of mine, Scott, here at JWU Denver. He's from Chico and went on the Sweden study abroad trip and was my roommate. That kid has SO much pride for his city, it's nuts. Drinks Sierra Nevada and nothing else. Every other word out of his mouth was Chico-something. He did a research project on the diminishing of the metafoam or something like that. Thickest lisp you would ever hear in a person. It just made me laugh out loud.

Anyways, back on topic, I'm swamped as well man. I know exactly how you feel.
I wake up at 5:30 every morning to get ready and walk to the bus stop by 6:25. Three buses and 1.5 hours later, I'm late for class that started at 8:00. I'm taking 20.5 credits this TRImester (11 weeks). Each class is 2 hours long. Accounting 1 + lab (5.5 credits, 4 hour class), Career Management (1.5 credits) on Mondays and Wednesdays. My lab for Accounting is only on Monday. International Business 2 (4.5 credits), Psychology(4.5 credits), Macroeconomics(4.5 credits) on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Good thing is that I have a 2 hour break to do homework and go to the gym before my class at 2. When I get done with class at 3:50 every day, I jog to the bus stop 5 blocks away to catch the 3:57 bus. Another 2 buses later and about an hour, my dad picks me up at the Park n' Ride and takes me directly to work that starts at 5:30. Then I get off at 10:00, and it's dinner, homework and bed for me, all to wake up by 5:30 again. This year without my license is a fucking NIGHTMARE. I could bite the bullet if I deserved it and did something stupid like get a DUI to lose my license for a year. But no, the entire legal system has decided to bend me over and have their way with my ass. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

lol
statics, not statistics. big difference. statics is an engineering class based on systems in equilibrium. pretty easy class really.

Quoted post[/post]]
i enjoyed statics, dynamics, and strength of materials. i love those kinds of classes :)

but im in calc4 (elementary differential equations and boundary value problems) and thermodynamics now. re-taking them actually, they are pretty intense courses. just trying to pass them. calc4 is my last math class i need, and thermo is just dry and boring, although slightly interesting i guess.

Diff EQ sucked, thermodynamics rules. that is the foundation for absolutely everything that has to do with engineering. Anything can be related to thermodynamics. I am about a month away from a B.S. in materials science and in January I will start my PhD program either at Ohio State or stay at Michigan State

didnt read your rant, but take 26 credits in 1 semester and tell me how you feel... not to mention being on your own for the first time, and 150 miles away from parents, friends, girfriend, etc. :)

Quoted post[/post]]
didnt read your rant, but take 26 credits in 1 semester and tell me how you feel... not to mention being on your own for the first time, and 150 miles away from parents, friends, girfriend, etc. :)
fuck that, i'll pass. seriously, i am not a strong enough student to take like 15+ units a semester.

Back