air compressor question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BodyDroppedNikes

...PENDEJO....
VIP
so im cruising around Wal-Mart tonite looking around and went to the automotive section. walked around and came across the air compressors and seen a Campbell-Hausfeld 100psi air compressor for like $70. it didnt look too bad to me. i want to know if 100psi would be strong enough to paint with and use air tools to remove/replace car parts? i know that Campbell-Hausefeld is pretty decent. thanks all.

CH isn't that bad. IR is THE best, though. 100 PSI isn't really enough to drive an impact gun. You really want 175 PSI and 6- 9 CFM for that. 100 PSI would be enough for an air wratchet or 3/8" drill, though, depending on how big your hose is. Get 1/2" hose, no matter what. How many gallons? You want at least 8 gallons, or it'll be running almost constantly.

it was a 2 gallon air compressor. what would be enough to drive an impact gun? im not looking to spend alot of money on one. i just want something decent that i can paint with and remove car parts with. thanks

no, absolutely not- my buddy was trying to run a 3/8 impact gun off one of those, and the thing was running constantly and he would have to stop everyone two bolts and let it build up pressure again- not cool at all

HS seems fond of this one.

This one does everything I need it to, oil free...I believe Steve, Brian, maybe Jeeeef and I have it. It's pretty expensive, but worth it. 2 gallon would NOT be ideal for heavy maintenance, or spray painting, or whatever the hell you are planning on doing :)

Originally posted by Havok@Apr 25 2004, 09:15 PM

This one does everything I need it to, oil free...I believe Steve, Brian, maybe Jeeeef and I have it. It's pretty expensive, but worth it. 2 gallon would NOT be ideal for heavy maintenance, or spray painting, or whatever the hell you are planning on doing :)

:werd:

I've got a Husky 15 gallon 6hp horizontal unit, and it works pretty well for 1/2 in impact tools and most jobs- the only thing that makes it run out of air is constant use with a die grinder set on full power, and that will drain most any air tank.

I'll upgrade to something bigger once I'm in a job that doesn't work me 14 hours a day and lets me out after all the Sears stores close...

Originally posted by Havok

This one does everything I need it to, oil free...I believe Steve, Brian, maybe Jeeeef and I have it. It's pretty expensive, but worth it. 2 gallon would NOT be ideal for heavy maintenance, or spray painting, or whatever the hell you are planning on doing

:werd: I have that one too if it's the 150 psi one...it's great! I love it!

Back