Air To Water Ic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mattcalica

okay, i want to get an air to water intercooler, but i heard they are not good for daily drivers. i was thinking about getting the pwr barrel type. Now, overall, can air-water ic's work just as good as air to air? The only reason i want to go this way is because a lot of cars have been getting ripped off in my area and i wanted to leave my car as stock looking as possible...a big ass intercooler would just give thieves a reason to jack my car.

on a street car, you want air/air.

the only advantage to an air/water is that at the track, you can pack it with ice. however, once ice melts, and water becomes as hot as your engine bay, its not as efficient anymore.

i think you'll find 1/4 mile draggers running air/water, and street cars running air/air

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@May 4 2003, 12:01 AM
on a street car, you want air/air.

the only advantage to an air/water is that at the track, you can pack it with ice. however, once ice melts, and water becomes as hot as your engine bay, its not as efficient anymore.

i think you'll find 1/4 mile draggers running air/water, and street cars running air/air

Me => :slap: <= Brian

If you run a front mounted cooler like an oil cooler inline, the Water/Air remains more efficient than an Air/Air all the time.

I ran my car on a dyno for 2 hours and made 37 pulls. The water in my system ON THE DYNO, never got above luke warm, and on the street with more airflow, I can run it pretty much CONSTANTLY without any heat soak issues.

Cooler.jpg

enginep11-18-01.JPG

i wasn't aware they made a cooler for the coolers. thats a great idea.

but then comes cost... an air/water is about the same price as an air/air give or take model/level, and then add another 150+ for the cooler and lines/fittings.... and more leaks to dial out :(

Only leak I've ever had on mine is because there is a corner that hits my bumper and it rubbed a little too much. Little JB weld fixed that right up.

Back