1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air To Water Ic

Discussion in 'Forced Induction' started by mattcalica, May 3, 2003.

1. mattcalica

mattcalica Senior Member

okay, i want to get an air to water intercooler, but i heard they are not good for daily drivers. i was thinking about getting the pwr barrel type. Now, overall, can air-water ic's work just as good as air to air? The only reason i want to go this way is because a lot of cars have been getting ripped off in my area and i wanted to leave my car as stock looking as possible...a big ass intercooler would just give thieves a reason to jack my car.

2. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

on a street car, you want air/air.

the only advantage to an air/water is that at the track, you can pack it with ice. however, once ice melts, and water becomes as hot as your engine bay, its not as efficient anymore.

i think you'll find 1/4 mile draggers running air/water, and street cars running air/air

3. Slo86GT

Slo86GT Super Moderator

Me => :slap: <= Brian

If you run a front mounted cooler like an oil cooler inline, the Water/Air remains more efficient than an Air/Air all the time.

I ran my car on a dyno for 2 hours and made 37 pulls. The water in my system ON THE DYNO, never got above luke warm, and on the street with more airflow, I can run it pretty much CONSTANTLY without any heat soak issues.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

i wasn't aware they made a cooler for the coolers. thats a great idea.

but then comes cost... an air/water is about the same price as an air/air give or take model/level, and then add another 150+ for the cooler and lines/fittings.... and more leaks to dial out :(

5. Slo86GT

Slo86GT Super Moderator

Only leak I've ever had on mine is because there is a corner that hits my bumper and it rubbed a little too much. Little JB weld fixed that right up.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted