Alessandro Volta

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Celerity

photo7.jpg

In 1800, Alessandro Volta arranged zinc and copper discs in a column and invented the battery. 204 years later, Toyota has electrified automotive history with the first high-performance hybrid, named in his honor. The Giugiaro-designed carbon-fiber body seats three people abreast and features "drive-by-wire" controls, allowing you to position the steering wheel and pedals in front of any one of them. And the Volta's 408-hp Hybrid Synergy Drive (a 3.3-liter V6 with an electric motor for each axle) not only delivers 435 miles on a 13.7-gallon tank, but 0 - 60 acceleration in a mere 4 seconds. Somewhere, Count Volta is smiling.

Concept car, yeah.. but I do believe Toyota has "Check-mate" everyone in the world.

Alessandro Volta concept

-> Steve
<poke><Poke>

old news I read about the 3.3 v6 with direct drive electric motors in a business week magazine months ago. and it wasn't toyota. also there a hundreds of engineering firms working on and perfecting drive by wire systems.

but , still a fucking cool concept car.

drive by wire. Yeah thats going to cause a few problems. I remember hearing about the F16s fly by wire system fucking up causing the planes hit the ground a lot....

But cool car. I'd pimp it.

well atleast you can still steer and brake if drive by wire system goes out; for you can only go left and right....cant say the same about planes..

Fuel cell technology (if that's what you're implying) probably won't be a viable transportation power source for a very long time, if ever. There just aren't enough raw materials in the world to make it something that can be mass produced. Too much platinum.

Back