All Motor Buildup - but something is very wrong.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

strepto

Hello!

This is my first post in here, so please go easy on me. I'd like to share some problems I've had with my NA build, and hopefully be able to gather some usefull infomation to help me out.

My setup:

1992 Honda Civic VTi w. B16A2 P30

12.jpg

Light PNP'ed PR3-3 head with brand new OEM P73 parts. Valves, springs, cams, LMA's, rockers, oilshafts, dowels. The head is pr. def. brand new. Head was milled 0.2mm. Block top was surfaced/cleaned.

Civic Type R pistons w. rings. Block bored to 81.25mm. All head and block work done by certified Honda dealer, and machine shop.

Timing set to 16 degrees (Cyl1 @ TDC) - Valvelashes set to ITR specs, according to HELMS. ECU reset.

i=wMzI3NTg2NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

i=wMzI3NTkxNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

i=wMzI3NTk0NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Some bolt-ons..

wNDA2MTc3NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Now to the problems. When I got the car back, the following happened:

- VTEC engages - but the performance DROPS completely when it does. Big change in sound (The infamous VTEC sound), but NO gains whatsoever.
- I see oil in front, to the left, of the engine. Checked Camseal and VTEC sol - no errors. Changed the HG again, still some oil.

My compression result:

wNDA4MDU5NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Cyl1: 12.5 BAR / 181.25 PSI
Cyl2: 12.6 BAR / 182.70 PSI
Cyl3: 13.3 BAR / 192.85 PSI
Cyl4: 13.2 BAR / 191.40 PSI

I did a leakdown test, but was unable to find any leaks. As mentioned I see oil on the left front side of the block, but cant find the source of the leak.

11397Vtec2-med.jpg

Edit: Tuning with RC310cc's, VAFC2 and AEM Uego

Check your distributor seal to see if it is leaking. My b18 leaked from there and got oil in the spot you are point to. Those compression numbers look alright. there is a little variation, but not much. As for the power problem you are having, maybe check your intake. Your filter might be really clogged, or the throttle plate might not be opening all the way and choking the motor. Or maybe stuffed a banana in your tailpipe. :)

j/k :p I hope you find your problem

Check and replace distributor O-Ring (dizzy shaft) that was my problem and I found it after pulling my head 3 Times.also check your valve cover gasket and use some hondabond at the 90 degree angled end cam caps this will ensure a good seal for your cover.( the corners of the 4 bumps)
also make sure you didn't spill any oil when filling the motor.

Hey,mike did'nt see your post until I posted mine. any way thats a common problem I guess

yeah, the oring isn't even that great when it's new. I just cleaned the mating surfaces really good, and sealed it up with a little hondabond.

Originally posted by MikeBergy@Jun 4 2004, 01:52 AM
yeah, the oring isn't even that great when it's new. I just cleaned the mating surfaces really good, and sealed it up with a little hondabond.

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I bought a complete P73 gasket kit when I had the headwork done. All seals and gaskets were swapped for brand new ones. The VTEC sol is hondabonded, but still, the leak has to come from somewhere. I took out the dissy today, and it seems fine! I cant find any signs of leak from it.

As for the VTEC problem, I just installed a new KN filter to the stock intake arm, and the TB was cleaned out really good, idle channels cleaned, etc.. I think I've done this by the book... Yet..

When you pulled the HG, was there any sign of oil fouling? You might not have torqued the head down right, or enough. Also, could it be your VC gasket? that has a tendency to leak as well, if you don't seal it. Other than that, I'm out of ideas. Check your ecu, it might be wiggin out, you just have to start a list of things that could be wrong.

Originally posted by MikeBergy@Jun 4 2004, 02:05 AM
When you pulled the HG, was there any sign of oil fouling? You might not have torqued the head down right, or enough. Also, could it be your VC gasket? that has a tendency to leak as well, if you don't seal it. Other than that, I'm out of ideas. Check your ecu, it might be wiggin out, you just have to start a list of things that could be wrong.

Could it be the dowel pins? slight resurface of the blocktop, and slight milled head? Dowels may need to be shaved?

Edit: Head was retorqued when gasket was changed for the second time, with new AEBS studs.

are you running a metal hg cause mine is leaking from the same spot. it's not a bad leak and really haven't noticed a performance prob. i would look toward the ecu also.

Originally posted by slapi01@Jun 4 2004, 05:35 AM
are you running a metal hg cause mine is leaking from the same spot. it's not a bad leak and really haven't noticed a performance prob. i would look toward the ecu also.

Hi!

Well, the ECU says all is good. No CEL... I tried a diffrent P30 ECU just for fun, but no change.

i have the same leak from the same corner on my b18c/b16a block/head combo. can't pinpoint it either.

as for your vtec runnign like crap- whats your timing? have you used a timing light on the crank pulley to make sure everything is at TDC?

Back