all motor LS

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRXratedR

B18B

For the bottom end, people suggest using B16 p30 pistons. It pretty cheap and is said to have a pretty cool compression ratio. What is the compression ratio with p30 pistons in a LS?

As for the head, I was thinking either a B16 VTEC head w/ V-AFC or Crower stage 2 cams & valvetrain w/ chipped ECU. Both of these options cost about the same. The VTEC head would require machining and the install on the cams & valvetrain would take a while. They both give about the same amount of power.

I am also going to be using ARP rod bolts so I can rev a little higher.

What do you guys suggest? to VTEC, or not to VTEC?

How much money do you want to spend now, and how much do you want to spend later?

If you just want power and you don't care how you get there, a turbo might help you out... $3000 can easily get you 250whp if you play your cards right. If you choose to go all motor, you won't be anywhere near 250whp for the same amount of cash, but you get all motor response and nobody will know what's inside your engine.

My recommendation- go VTEC (properly built) if you stay all motor, or just go with boost.

i dont have a whole lot of money.. i had a lot of mishaps in the past year.. im not going to go all out on my car.. i also want it to be street legal.. basic bolt-ons and either VTEC or cams.. all motor is the way to go.. turbo and NOS is cheating.. i do like the sound of the BOV though.. so VTEC w/ V-AFC or Crower stage 2 cams w/ valvetrain?

if you're in cali, head swaps are illegal.

jdm b16 pistons
crower 403 cams
vafc
and a legal i/h/e system

I don't know why people don't go with 404's honestly.

I dropped my spair head in with 404s last weekend, and inside the car the idle feels stock. The only reason I went with 404s and not 405s is because people talked about how lopey the 404s were, which I come to find out is blown out of purporting.

so a head swap is illegal in cali.. i guess the VTEC head is no longer a choice.. crower stage 2s it is.. thanks guys..

I have driven in StyleTEG's integra and the 404's are not to aggressive for the streets. Really they bearly effect your idel. He had to adjust the idel screw a little but other then that, they have been fine.

All he has is the cams and springs, and raised compression by milling the head, and his mementary setup is extremly fast. I would deffently say that it is faster then my car, (but he needs a b16 or ITR tranny), and really thus far, he only has 500-600 in additions to his LS.

be aware that if your going to build an all motor non vtec ls monster :
the tranny is long as fuck (tranny swap)
the intake mani is very restrictive (mani+tb swap)
the head flow is not so great (port n polish, possible valve job as well)
and ls motors are know not to like to rev to very high rpms.

and all motor in a honda is all about high rpms.

just my 2 cents

Originally posted by AlphaCivic@Mar 16 2004, 07:54 AM
be aware that if your going to build an all motor non vtec ls monster :
the tranny is long as fuck (tranny swap)
the intake mani is very restrictive (mani+tb swap)
the head flow is not so great (port n polish, possible valve job as well)
and ls motors are know not to like to rev to very high rpms.

and all motor in a honda is all about high rpms.

just my 2 cents

Yea the tranny is pretty shitty for NA, but a B18b and a SI tranny will still be about the same price as a b16asirII swap. Also LS's are not good for spending to 10k rpms, but it really isn't needed. With cams and springs, you can safely rev a little past the stock redline, but really it isn't needed because you have trq throughout the powerband. Also, with the 403's, the cams are good for revs up to 8500 RPM, and the 404's make power even after that.

It basicly comes down to you can build an LS NA monster for much cheaper then a GSR NA monster and you can get the same end result. One fast car. Some of the highest Trq numbers out of an NA honda have came from an LS. Really the honda world is extremly ignorant when it comes to this engine.

Yeah, like Colin said I don't know why people blow the idle of the 404s out of porportion. Mine feel stock, the only difference is the exhaust and engine sound, but they sound good ;)

I spent about $650 total to get my car to this point, and I even ended up spending more because I wanted to end up having a spair head.

I will say this.........nonvtec NA, I have seen very very good results.

some kid from clubsi way back in the day was running 13.5's with a 2.0 bottom and no vtec, crower cams, and the equalizer,,,,,,GSR tranny :)

Maybe i didnt mention, but i have high faith in being able to build a killer Ls motor... i was just pointing out a few of its weak points. I have actually been considering an LS off and on, the only thing is.. here in san diego, they are about as expensive as a b16 swap now... kinda bummer =( guess ill have to stick with the force fed single cam plans.... *sigh*

*falls asleep and dreams of a boosted CTR*

if you want to get more power are your LS,

people forget about the trannys all the time, get a Si tranny, or if you have the money go with ITR or CTR, a lightened flywheel, and a stage 2 cluch,
basics=intake, header, exhaust
get a different fuel management sistem too,
ctr pistons, or itr it's up to you,
....but when it comes up to the cams < vtec, I know they have some wild ass cams for LS which will beat the DC2, but look at this from this way if you put some wild cams in there you gonna kill your gas really fast because they gonna run on the bigggggg lobes all the time, that's allright for racing but if you are going to use it as a daily driver just swap the heads, better gas mailage, basically you gonna go when you want not all the time, and you gonna have your stock iddle,
.....after swaping the head just go with some cheap ctr or itr cams, upgrade your valve train since you want to go over 8000, then you have a monster,

.......oh yeah last one don't say that turbo is a cheater......

oh eah if you want to do that find your self a LS with more miles on it, so you'll spend less money on it, therefore bigger budget,

I would go turbo......

You technically don't get any more power by upgrading your transmission. (unless someone comes out with some extremely low friction bearings or something, but thats not common at this point)

Yes gear ratio's alter the torque multiplication, but the engine is producing the same amount of power when gearing is accounted for. (1:1)

I have noticed no decrease in gas mileage daily driving my 404s, I still have been getting 30mpg. And many people view the 404s are extremely wild cams.

Back