allmotor prelude possiblilities?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mrunexpected

first of all, im not a honda guy. im into domestics. but thats beside the point. ive red up this and that on all sorts of cars, including hondas, so i kinda know my way around.

a friend of mine has a 4th gen 'lude. hes under the impression that he can "build up" an all motor jdm h22 to 400 hp. he will be able to run 92 octane, idle below 1000 rpm, and still get better-than-suv gas mielage. he will use this car to drive the 150 miles back and forth form school, drive every day aroudn town, and race on weekends. oh, and this setup will run 11's in the quarter. even s this was possible, i thought ludes are about 3000 lbs? youll need more that that to run a 1.5 ton front driver in the 11's, right?

some guy at the races, who claims to build race motors says he can do this for him. he gives no specs on the comproession, heads, or cam he will use.

now, he (friend) doesnt know diddly squat about cars, and is buddies form home feed him s**t all the time. stuff liek "awsome quad turbo preludes theyve seen", and he seems to be under the impression that "prelude mtotos are built for quad turbo" (his exact words), which leads to hair pulling on my part. he thinks that there is some bolt ont he engine that you can turn to just give you more power. i tell him its a honda, "nothing on a honda has been controlled by a bolt or nut for 20 years (am i right?), its all self-calibrating electronics." he wont belive me. he just gives his car to his firneds,and they "tune" it, putting in no parts, jsut "changing things around". he thinks that an ecu upgrade is the best thing you can do for the money to a motor for more power. seriosly, i dont think he knows what a camshaft is, or what it does. they DID remove the resonator form the intake, givign his car that "elephant farting though a tuba sound" he so craves.

i do know my way around cars in general, and that doesnt seem possible to me. he and i are in a very heated debate about this, but i have littel specific info. so far, its just a pissing match. what CAN you do n/a with h22? i guess 300 hp can be doen with the above reqs, but 400? anybody got actual buildups with numbers?

and another thing, can someone with a huge post count PLEASE say that there is no such thing as a quad turbo prelude. or if by some cosmic trageedy such a thing does exist, say that that is the dumbest thign ever, and why? he wont beilve me. ill show him this thread, and i need to set him straight.

i dont have a huge post count, but i'm sorry your friend (and his friends) sound like :fr: to me.

he can put 4 of those...electric turbochargers from ebay??

400 horses on an NA h22a is really pushing it, AND that'll be a full racecar motor, stroke n bored, everything. Can't idle below 1k rpm and it'll require race gas with shitty MPG....

Anything can be done if you have the money thou. But on a h22a motor?? I don't see why. Quad turbo? :wtf: Even the drag cars' h22a's only have twin turbo at max.

lol at "elephant farting though a tuba sound". puhahahhaha :lol:

you should convince your friend to sell his prelude and buy a domestic if he really wants to go 10's, or he could take out his motor and put it in a shopping cart.

well with a trap speed of 125mph and an 11 sec 1/4 and 3000lbs
you need 470hp all motor streetable your on crack

i would smack anyone that tried to put 4 turbos on a prelude, let alone a honda!

the 400 n/a hp sounds like :bs: to me.

It doesn't just SOUND like :bs: It IS :bs:

There's no fuckin way you're ever, EVER going to see 400 horsepower out of an n/a H22A. Turbo the thing, and you can see 400 horsepower pretty easily. But to make 400 horses (streetable? hell no) is a joke.

I really like the idea of a quad turbo on a 4-banger. That's a great idea. You can have one turbo for every outlet on your exhaust. :lol: How in the world are you going to get your little 4-banger to pump out enough exhaust gasses to run 4 turbos?

If those guys are saying they can "turn a screw" and add performance to a Honda, or if they think a chipped ECU is the best performance mod you can do to a car, I don't think they're even worth your (or your friend's) time. Get him away from those nutjobs as fast as humanly possible.

i thought his friend's friends were talking about turning the distributor to advance the timing.

he could custom make a sequential turbo setup, 4 in a row......

:bash: :slap: :kick:

i'd still say the 4 electric turbocharger idea is more likely.

Get him away from those nutjobs as fast as humanly possible

Sure, or maybe 4 of those inside-the-intake-tube Vortex thingies.

Yeah, let's "advance the timing" by moving the distributor away from a TDC firing point. That's the best idea.

What you have experienced is the general ignorance that has invaded the Honda "scene".

If he is serious about running 10's (why is 10 seconds the magical number?? Oh yeah, The Gay and the Curious) he needs to do a ton of reading/research. Send him here but tell him to do a little reading before he opens his mouth about that sick quad turbo Prelude his friend has...

There's no telling what a "max horsepower" number will be. As 90_accord said, your budget will be your constraint. With more and more building will come the need to have all those parts tuned correctly as well.

lets say i have 100k (just for sake of argument), no tech or emissions reqs. i just need it to run on pump gas.

whats the highest pump gas all mtoor preulde out there?

400 NA WHP from any Honda motor has yet to be done, I personally think that it will never be done, never never never.

Milan

I have heard rumors (read completely uncomfirmed) that someone (either IB or Endyn) hit 300 hp all motor with a B series on race gas. I imagine that the H22 is capable of comprable numbers.

On pump gas I would be surprised if you could exceed 250 crank hp, but that could be completely off.

250 crank horsies on pump gas? That shouldn't be tough at all. The H22 Type S hit 220 crank hp with 11.1:1 compression. You could easily up that a whole point with proper tuning, and some more aggressive cams and comparable headwork should put you at or over 250 pretty easily. This isn't even talking boring/stroking the engine.

Back