Am i burning oil?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Cashizslick

!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!
I took my car in for an oil change - i was a little overdue, and it turned out that i was a quart low on oil. I know i am not leaking any oil because i dont see a puddle under my car in the morning. Is this normal?

Also, my valve cover has a tendency to be somewhat moist around the oil (yes its screwed on right) cap and spark plug cover - could there be oil coming through the valve cover or something??

check the cam plug bleow the dizzy, i have heard of them becoming brittle and cracking, join the club, my gsr is smoking now to. :(

Originally posted by xyswany@Dec 13 2003, 12:56 AM
check the cam plug bleow the dizzy, i have heard of them becoming brittle and cracking, join the club, my gsr is smoking now to. :(

Could it be the o - rings and seals?

it could be ANYTHING. i suggest you degrease your entire engine, oil pan included, go out for a spin and check all junctions between gaskets, valve cover to the oil pan gasket.

Originally posted by xyswany@Dec 13 2003, 01:14 AM
it could be ANYTHING. i suggest you degrease your entire engine, oil pan included, go out for a spin and check all junctions between gaskets, valve cover to the oil pan gasket.

:werd:
if it was your rings and seals, you would be blowing some black smoke and there may be oil on the firing end of your plugs (not just on the threads, which sometimes is the case). you can have someone drive your car while you follow in another car and watch for smoke or you can run a compression and leak-down test to be sure its not the rings.
usually if its NOT blowing smoke, oil is lost through deteriorating cam seals and valve cover gasket (both are pretty easy fixes).

Back