AMD Phenom worth it or just hype

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

nootrac22

VIP
Anybody have any info on the AMD Phenom CPU? I"m looking to upgrad my motherboard and cpu, just wondering if it's worth it. I don't mind spending a few hundred dollars upgrading on quality components, but I can't dump hundreds on graphic cards anymore (or several hunder for 2 sli). I would like to make it an up to date computer.

Combo Deals (view all)

GIGABYTE GA-MA790FX-DS5 AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail AMD Phenom 9500 Agena 2.2GHz Quad-Core Socket AM2 95W Processor Model HD9500WCGDBOX - Retail Original price: $469.98 Discount: -$20.00 Combo Price: $449.98Combo Deals

AMD Athlon 64 FX-62 Windsor 2.8GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADAFX62IAA6CS - OEM ECS GeForce6100SM-M (1.0) AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100S Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail Original price: $218.99 Discount: -$10.00 Combo Price: $208.99

Eh, you could get the Intel Q6600 and a comparable motherboard for not much more and get better everything.

But if it were me, i'd get something cheap - plain Core 2.

As of right now, Intel Quad runs cheaper cooler and faster. But maybe itll change when pricing is restructured and better yields are acheived.

The biggest "advantage" for AMD right now is that older AM2 boards will accept the new processors. But check mobo manufacter for more details and be 100 percent sure.

I would wait for a while for them to come out. The first one out is going to be the low end one, IMO if you are going to drop good money on a CPU, might as well not bitch out, and get one of the better ones.

I'd wait, I almost bought one but after seeing bench marks and how the 6400+ was doing just as well.... I'd wait...

Toms hardware did a full write up on it.

Back