Amps?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rockhillhonda

I have two amps (lkicker) (rockfor fosgate) not good on spelling, sorry. i have installed al of the wiring running two power wires from pos. terminal on bat. with 2 fuses. the ground wires for the amps and not more then 12-15 inches in length. i dont have that good of wires from then amps to the speakers. i had some around and used it. my concern is that i am getting a lot of feed back in my subs. now i did take the input out put cable and go from one behind the cd player(aiwa) and but another one to make it into two. i was wandering if anyone can help me out, thanks.

i do have the power wires colse i forgot about that, damn it. and the ground is on a metal bracket. i thought about doing it to the ground on the battery with a 6auge wire would that work or would that be to long? and another question is i have 2 amos, can i just have one power cord split into 2 when it comes in the car throught the fire wall? would that work ?? thanks

The power wire being near the wires is probably causing the feedback. When you grounded the amp did you make sure there was no primer or rubber over the metal? They do that to prevent rust. I would not recommend a ground wire that long back heading back to the battery. The shorter the better. You can split the power wire depending on a few factors: how big is the power wire, how much wattage do the 2 amps use, what are the 2 amps running?

the two amps are running 2 12's and i dont really know the wattage of them because they were given to my by a friend and it does not say it on them, another question is can i take the ground wire and weld it to the body of the car under the carpet because i am about to take everything out of my car to do it right this time so it looks good, is that a posibility ??? thanks.

I certainly hope you aren't getting feedback, because you aren't using microphones. I am guessing you are getting a lot of hissing, that's not feedback, just for future reference. Anyways, If I were you, I'd run a single power wire back to where you are putting the amps, with an inline fuse that is rated at the total current of the two amps. Usually you don't want to exceed more than 40 amps total, so that you don't heat up the power lead. After you get to where you want the amps mounted, run a splitter to each amp. The main power cord should be 8 guage or bigger. you definitely do not need to solder anything, especially the ground wire. Run the rca's on the opposite side of the car from the power lead if it is possible. Just sand down a small spot where you will mount the ground wire, that will take care of any coating that might be on the mounting spot.

For your power wire I would go 4 gauge. I have since first hand what 8 gauge can do if you try and pull to much current through it (fire burns). I like mike said you dont need to weld anything I like using seatbelt brackets for grounds, always served me well.

MikeBergy said:
I certainly hope you aren't getting feedback, because you aren't using microphones. I am guessing you are getting a lot of hissing, that's not feedback, just for future reference. Anyways, If I were you, I'd run a single power wire back to where you are putting the amps, with an inline fuse that is rated at the total current of the two amps. Usually you don't want to exceed more than 40 amps total, so that you don't heat up the power lead. After you get to where you want the amps mounted, run a splitter to each amp. The main power cord should be 8 guage or bigger. you definitely do not need to solder anything, especially the ground wire. Run the rca's on the opposite side of the car from the power lead if it is possible. Just sand down a small spot where you will mount the ground wire, that will take care of any coating that might be on the mounting spot.

Correct, that is not feedback, but a background type noise. As far as your inline fuse, you want to have 10 ampss for every 100 watts. So say you have 1,000 watts, you need a 100 amp fuse. I would recommend 8 guage for 500 watts or less and 4 guage for up to 1,000 watts. There are terminals that you can purchase at either your local stereo shop or ebay, whichever you prefer to use so you can have 1 wire running from the battery to the back by your amps. From the terminal it may 2, 3, or 4 outputs, so you can hook up a few amps to the one power line.

The hissing type noise you are hearing is most likley due to a ground loop. you should connect both grounds for each amp to the same location. Other possible casues for the hissing is fro mthe altenator charging. you could use a notch filter on the power line to solve that problem

as far as running two individual power leads to each mplifier that should not be a problem but for better cable management using one power lead to a distribution block is a better method.

To decide on wire gauge size, use the chart below. from the IASCA handbook
find the maximum current that will flow in the wire, can easily be estimated by the fuse rating on the amplifiers, than determine the length the wire will run fro mthe battery to the back of the car.
Code:
                           Length of run (in feet)
               0-4  4-7 7-10  10-13  13-16  16-19  19-22  22-28
    Current
      0-20A     14   12   12     10     10      8      8      8
     20-35A     12   10    8      8      6      6      6      4
     35-50A     10    8    8      6      6      4      4      4
     50-65A      8    8    6      4      4      4      4      2
     65-85A      6    6    4      4      2      2      2      0
    85-105A      6    6    4      2      2      2      2      0
   105-125A      4    4    4      2      2      0      0      0
   125-150A      2    2    2      2      0      0      0     00

also, run the rca's AWAY from the power leads. if you run them to the back next to each other, it can cause "altertnator noise" as they call it.

rcas up the driver side kick panel, power and remote turn on on the passenger side.

and yes, 1 power 8 guage should be enough for two small amps, and get a fused splitter to split the power cable in the trunk... something liek this:
wgfv12.jpg

Back