Andrew's engine swap (pics)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Thanks man.

Ok switching my thinking to Turbos this morning. I'm considering a Garrett M27 turbo. It's a .48 a/r turbine, .48 a/r compressor turbo. And is fairly cheap. came factory on Saab 2.0l turbos, so it should be good for my little 1.6.

Heres a setup I'm thinking of doing right now as a 'starter' turbo setup. (mainly b/c of the manifold)

*HF manifold
adapter flange for T3
Garrett M27 .48/.48 gated at 7psi I think. good for now
*Install my Cometic HG for 10:1 comp ratio
ARP headstuds
*450cc DSM bluetops
Boost gauge

Fixed ;)

Do it. Now, boost the hell out of the lil D. Now. Now now now. Stop changing yoru mind and DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1ne

You goof! :D

I've actually been pretty certain about turboing the CRX for a long time, but now it's happening. I just didn't know what motor it would happen to.
The only time I was fickle about it was when I contemplated ITB's. Even still, I think I would have dipped into turbos sooner or later.

Yeah I've already got a boost gauge, vacuum manifold(though I don't think I'll need it. Again this was purchased when I wanted ITBs lol), intercooler, and other misc. things. I was just listing major hardware.

Last edited:
Good. When you're done with the turbo, you can give it to me. Oh, I dunno if I told you but I am indeed getting that LS Saturday.. it's all set up.

Ell-Ess Vee tek?

that was low man.. Real low.

At least I didn't spend almost $4,000 to have a gas engine converted to sounding like a diesel and make factory HP.

fgt :p

Looking good. :). I though you got that GS-R swap from Mac24/7. B18C1/ with Y1 tranny = FUN.

I tried, but no dice. =(
He's holding on to that motor like you wouldn't believe.

I offered him more money than what he paid for the entire car, but no.

Andrew:

I'd stay away from DSM injectors. Their spray patterns can be pretty funky for a honda engine (stream spray anyone?), but it all depends on how much you pay for them. When I get home I'll show you where I got my 440cc injectors from. (Can't remember where, but it's bookmarked.) I paid total $130 for 4 of them. RC just cleans, blueprints and rebadges the injectors they sell -- FYI.

If you want I can run the numbers and check if that turbo would be a good fit to your engine and give you an idea of what to expect with it. Although, I'll need flow-charts of the head after all the work, and a dyno graph, otherwise it'll be pretty close to guesswork.

It seems everyone is going the Turbo D route these days. Glad to have you on the wagon again. :D

<--would like some $130 440's.

BTW Andrew I got rid of my charcoal canister today, and no CEL and it runs better than before. :thumbsup: ( May have had a air leak in one of the hoses.)

I'd stay away from DSM injectors. Their spray patterns can be pretty funky for a honda engine (stream spray anyone?), but it all depends on how much you pay for them. When I get home I'll show you where I got my 440cc injectors from. (Can't remember where, but it's bookmarked.) I paid total $130 for 4 of them. RC just cleans, blueprints and rebadges the injectors they sell -- FYI.

Did I mention that they were High-Impedance too? You probably have to machine the fuel rail to get the bosch Jetronic tops to fit. I don't know if it's needed because I haven't gotten them yet. It should be pretty straight-forward. I'll write up how I do it as soon as my injectors arrive.

I found the site:
42lb Lucas Disk EV1 High Impedance

Andrew:
If you want I can run the numbers and check if that turbo would be a good fit to your engine and give you an idea of what to expect with it. Although, I'll need flow-charts of the head after all the work, and a dyno graph, otherwise it'll be pretty close to guesswork.
It seems everyone is going the Turbo D route these days. Glad to have you on the wagon again. :D
Did I mention that they were High-Impedance too? You probably have to machine the fuel rail to get the bosch Jetronic tops to fit. I don't know if it's needed because I haven't gotten them yet. It should be pretty straight-forward. I'll write up how I do it as soon as my injectors arrive.
I found the site:
42lb Lucas Disk EV1 High Impedance

Don't bother yourself on the turbo #'s. Thanks very much for the offer, but I'll just try whatever I get my hands on and see if and how it works. :)
I've got a decent understanding of what turbo will do what, averaging of course... I'm only asking for another 50-60whp to make me sit at 180/190whp. I think that'll be TONS of fun, especially with this friggin Si trans.

Thank you very much for that link. That is a great price for those injectors!
I would be getting these DSM 450's for free. A buddy owes me.
SO MANY people use them, so I'm surprised to hear what you've got to say. I was under the impression that they spray fine. But I'm definitely open minded about it!

To my knowledge, all you have to do is grind out/down the thick washer that it rests on the intake manifold on (the largest "spacer") for it to fit. And do something like change the top o rings or something. very simple and straight forward. - Thats actually coming first hand from my friend with a SOHC-T here in town. He told me that Tuesday night, But he was using 1st Gen black tops. so... yeah. dunno if theres any difference.

Its been a while since I've 'dug' into injector research. I need to refresh myself on the differences between High/Low impedence (aren't ALL honda's High impedence?) and Saturated/Peak and Hold. My crx is P & H because I have a resister box. Right?

If nothing else I'll pick up some of those injectors. Seems like your saying they are basically RC's with a different label. and maybe not as 'clean' ^_^

Last edited:
1Thank you very much for that link. That is a great price for those injectors!
I would be getting these DSM 450's for free. A buddy owes me.
SO MANY people use them, so I'm surprised to hear what you've got to say. I was under the impression that they spray fine. But I'm definitely open minded about it!

2To my knowledge, all you have to do is grind out/down the thick washer that it rests on the intake manifold on (the largest "spacer") for it to fit. And do something like change the top o rings or something. very simple and straight forward. - Thats actually coming first hand from my friend with a SOHC-T here in town. He told me that Tuesday night, But he was using 1st Gen black tops. so... yeah. dunno if theres any difference.

3Its been a while since I've 'dug' into injector research. I need to refresh myself on the differences between High/Low impedence (aren't ALL honda's High impedence?) and Saturated/Peak and Hold. My crx is P & H because I have a resister box. Right?

4If nothing else I'll pick up some of those injectors. Seems like your saying they are basically RC's with a different label. and maybe not as 'clean' ^_^

1 It depends on the year that the DSM injectors came from.

2 It's just a gasket/spacer thing. DSM Injector Install <- this details wha tyou need to do. Alternatively, you could use two honda spacers, and just grind one down to the required thickness on a belt-sander, or slice it in half with a sharp knife.

3 Your current injectors, if you use a resistor box are Peak and Hold, just like your DSM injectors. You'll just change the clips, and you'll be golden. Your honda is Low-Z, as are most hondas prior to 1992. Every OBD2 car is High-Z. About every OBD1 car is High-Z. All OBD0 cars are Low-Z. (this doesn't apply to the wierd cars, like prelude/nsx)

4 Clean? Wha? You mean they didn't ultrasonicly clean the BNIB injectors? Yeha, that's it. heh.

Thanks once again holmes. Thats the perfect write-up for answering my woes.
It's really simple and clear to me now. All I have to do is install them. haha. literally. Since I'm already wired for a resister box, they are just a 'drop-in' deal. Very cool.

Found a referrences for injectors just posting it for... reference. :cool:

Fuel Injector Info

Last edited:
>August.

edit: Err.. well... I'll have all my parts this month anyway. I plan on having it spooling in August, but with school starting and my replenished interest in Golf, I might get slowed down a bit financially.

Oh and a small update guys. Remember how I was saying that "something ain't right" b/c it was breaking up in 1st, vtec wasn't engaging, and most recently the #1 cyl wasn't booming? well, it was all because of missing metal injector clips. the plug was barely on the injector. I'm suprised all of them weren't that way. ANYWHO. its good now. Just don't overlook the small stuff! The ol' "air spark and fuel" thinking process and it was instantly apparent.

Last edited:
I made a purchase today...
DSM TD05H turbo with HF mani
HMT DP for TD05 setup
Upper HMT i/c pipe w/ eghey greddy knockoff BOV
for $140 shipped! Sccchhhhwwwing!

Next I'm taking the DSM injectors to a turbo place here in town and having them cleaned. I'm going to try and get a printout too. That'll be kinda neat; see what they are actually flowing.

It's happening!

Back