Andrew's engine swap (pics)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

My catch can looks better than yours!! HAH! :p
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a280/mac_24_seven/DSCN2459.jpg

And definetly index your spark plugs.. Also, make a little ground distribution block like Eli did and ground your engine good.
I saw a RSX dyno where they got 4 whp!!! from re-grounding their engine.

Right before the dyno, change your oil to synthetic.

You don't have power steering so you can't unhook it.. But you could unhook the AC?

Man, that does look pretty good! I would put another barb right in the middle of the two, and a little bit higher, to run to your intake. one on the left goes to the valve cover, one on the right goes to the PCV system!

-Will index plugs in the next few days
-Fixed some of my grounds, will definatly add some more. (would have the other day, but couldn't find any wire of the right size)
-Changed to Mobil1 Synthetic w/ K&N filter about 40 miles ago(couple days)
-A/C's been unhooked for about a month, and didn't ever use it before then!? (I'm thinking of removing it completely when/if I go turbo. I'm so used to not having it in my Blazer, it really just doesnt bother me to roll down the windows.)

Man, that does look pretty good!

Thats like the only time evArr you've said something I did looked good :rolleyes::cool: Man, I'm tearing up.....:D
Ya think I could get away with using a 1/4" barb in the middle?

And are you gonna run open header or keep yoru exhaust on? Were not gonna have time to change it in-between dyno's unfortunately. I'm gonna be open. :ph34r:

C'mon man! Give me some more credit than that!!! :)
Did you paint it, or was that the color it was originally?

Header- I would like to uncap it, but I'd have to leave my system on. I don't have a 'joint' over the rear suspension, so I'm wondering if I cut it, and take it all in and have him weld in a couple ends...

Whatcha think?

I'll unbolt my exhaust next week a couple days in advance so I can cruise around open header for a few days ;) fun fun!

Sweet, this may sound dumb but what does the catch can actually do besides catch?

It catches the oil (suppose to anyway) that would normally go back into your intake manifold via air.

Without a catch can, it all ends up in yoru IM and being burnt :S

Sucktastic,

No shit, so is that why just about all hondas smoke? Does all that oil make it back down to the crankcase?

No.. Honda's are just pieces of ricey garbage with someof the worst engineered engines in the history of the industry.

:p jk

I assume what doesn't get burnt goes back into the oil system.. But I'm sure most of it gets burnt.

And, so you know, you have to empty out the catch can every so often to drain the collected oil.

Here's how I believe it works, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
In a normal PCV system, the vacuum of the engine draws the crankcase gases (oil vapor) into the intake of the engine where it is burned by combustion. Over time, the oil vapor condensates on the inside of the manifold to form a black residue. Liquid oil should never be present in a PCV system, if it is, somethings wrong.
In a catch can setup the oil vapors are drawn from the crankcase into the catchcan and then to the intake via the engines vacuum. The catchcan allows the oil vapor to condensate and collect in the can before it enters the intake of the engine. This greatly reduces the amount of oil vapors that enter the intake, making for a cleaner combustion and a more stable A/F ratio.
This is all correct right?

If its not i would still belive you because that sounds fucking convincing. Thanks for the insite.

Yeah Klyph, your pretty much right on.

The only wrong thing with my setup, is that ideally you want the PCV valve to have it's own can, non-vented. You don't want your stock "black" pcv box to not have the vacuum of the manifold, because, like you said, it works by drawing the vacuum. Then you have your valve cover just going into a vented can, and thats it. no vacuum, no drain back.

Mine has both the valve cover and the PCV system going into a, what I'll call a "semi-vented" can. It's got a small ~1/8" hole up top.

looks good man ! I'm gonna be doing my first engine swap tomorrow by myself and a friend..Is there alot of stuff that needs to be un hooked and stuff ? What was the hardets part about it? Please let me know !

looks good man ! I'm gonna be doing my first engine swap tomorrow by myself and a friend..Is there alot of stuff that needs to be un hooked and stuff ?
Nope, everything in a honda is glued together. You just hook up an engine lift and rip that fucker out.
What was the hardets part about it? Please let me know !
The hardest part would probably be disconnecting the discombobulator from the reverse counter axis shaft. They use a lot of glue when they install these, so it makes it difficult to remove. I would suggest lighting the entire car on fire, as this should melt the glue.

lol seriously is it really all glued ? It aint a full engine swap that i'm doing its just switching the bottom half of the engine with another 1..some 1 who had the car before me seized the bottom half of the engine up !..should it be as easy as you say ?

O ya if you're only doing the bottom half, it will be half the work. Plus you don't need to worry about the discombobulator shaft. Here's what you gotta do:
Flip the car over on it's roof so that you can access the engines "bottom half"
Using a razor, carefully slice the glue that holds the "bottom half" to the "top half"
Remove the "bottom half" (Here's where you get lucky, as the reverse counter axis shaft is attached to the "top half")
Before you install the new "bottom half" you need to remove all the glue from the "top half" (You'll have to set the car on fire for this, sorry there's really no way around it)
After you've completed this, flip the car back onto it's wheels and enjoy the power of VTAK.

Or, you can follow my easy solution to your problem :ph34r:

#1: Locate a corner.
#2: Make sure it's dark, damp and lonely.
#3: Go die in it because you have no right to ever work on a car for asking such dumb questions and hi-jacking a thread.
#4: Decay quietly while the world quickly forgets your existance.

lol seriously is it really all glued
I've seen alot of posts and alot of stupid questions in my time.. and this, by far HAS to be the most imbecile and rediculously dumb question I've ever seen.

Last edited:
because it has the most replies and people will see it

Back