Andrew's engine swap (pics)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ooooo, so you're talkin about another rex, gotcha, go for it.

Yeah, This car will stay like it is. I'll change the all the suspension/control bushings out, give it some sway/strut bars, and call it a day.

I'm very happy with how this car drives/feels, and want to keep it that way.

I want to look around for another rex for the "big guns", if you will.

Well if you want the new rex to be an absolute monster, build it so that it can be turbo'd later on :woo: :twisted: :burnout:

H22 CRX for the win!!!

I was looking in to droppi'n the H22 in my CRX. But plans have changed and money is short due to a newborn. So ive opted to go with a D15B2-D16Z6 mini-me turbo swap. The D15B2 cause the D15B6 block in my CRX now, wont work with the head.

And when I was looking into it, everyone was telling me:
Torque steer this
Sits to low that
Too tight of a fit
Too much money
^Who gives a rats ass I just want to be different from all the "ricers" out there.

So stick with your plans drew, its good to be different.

if you have a '97+ it should be a h22a4.. unless the previous owner did a motor swap with an older h22a, which would have the h22a1 code. Or, it could be a jdm h22 swap, then would be marked h22a.
Thanks man thats what I needed. I couldnt get a chance to do a quick search earlier(setup my tripod in my car and pulled the motor in the El Camino!)

I'm ready for autocrossing!
Battery is secure:

Tripod is setup: Fishing line, Fishing hooks, and some kindergarten ingenuity.

DSCN2993.jpg

Heres the view:

DSCN2989.jpg

Can't wait for this weekend man!
-Andrew

Last edited:
i loved that wheel.
glad to se its in good hands

how is the camera holding while you jerk back and forth?

I don't have 2 prongs on my headrests(crx si seats don't), so thats why I don't have a neat little mounting system like those.

Formby, it's held by the fishing line/hooks. I know you can't really see all the strings, but I've got it tensioned in 6 different directions, pretty well actually. You can't tip it over by hand(nothing >1g will do anyway)
I'll get that video up tomorrow. I'm just as anxious to see what happens as you guys! I'm confident it will hold just fine. The only thing I'd be worried about is too much shaking, but, it's an in-car vid, it's gonna have some shaking!

BTW brotha, I LOVE this wheel! It's held up awsome so far. Everyone that asks about it thinks it's like $250+ lol

Again, it's a lot stronger than what it might look like in the pictures.

Last edited:
Did a quick test run on my way to school, but since it was 7:15am and in front of Flightline general aviation I couldn't really do a whole lot of "throttle" runs, but I got some good hard turns in at about 30mph, and the video shows almost no signs of structural weakness.

I'm in class now, but I'll upload this video and the next vid I'll take today with a little more speed.

And I think I'm going to raise the camera up a little bit so I can see the cones a little better. It's a vid mainly full of me driving, but I want a good mixture of both the wheel/shifter and the road.

-Andrew

Hell yeah, it looked like you were wipping it pretty hard and it barely moved Good idea on the fishing string.

Yeah man. Thanks to my dad on that idea!
Sounded really dumb, but you can see how it functions..

Back