Andrew's engine swap (pics)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Damn, Andrew... I just read up on this after missing a whole lot and I want to congratulate you. Good to see you guys are still having fun with this, keep the updates coming =)

Thanks man. Updates will never stop coming- it's a honda! ^_^

When are you gonna come to Tally man?

Thanks man. Updates will never stop coming- it's a honda! ^_^

When are you gonna come to Tally man?
Tally man? Tally me banana... Daylight come and me wanna go home!
I was just in Tally like 2 weeks ago, lol. Helped a friend out with his truck at FSU... I go up there a decent amount, I'll drop you a pm next time I'm heading up... Oh, and those readings from your cat won't be very accurate... I'll bring my camshaft :eek:

lol at camshaft idea...

Aight man, just lmk when you do, we'll have to get some pics of the carrrrrz

I got my Oil pressure gauge installed yesterday.
Sorry no pics- my dad took my camera to Argentina on a hunting trip(dove, duck, and perdie [local Argentinian bird])

Oil pressure is strong.
Cold idle- 70-80
Warm idle- 30-35
Full throttle- 80-85/90 depending on the gears/load.

So I'm feeling a lot better about how my engine is performing now. At least I know I'm getting oil! lol...
Next on my list is to buy some ARP's and change my head gasket when they arrive. I don't want any head-lift under boost!!
Then install the Y8 manifold ported to match a LS throttle body. I need to change the throttle body soon, because my FITV is toast.(idle is 1300-1800, drives me insane). I've cleaned it, but it didn't do any good.

Just a little update.
-Andrew

Sounds very nice, is it a manual or electronic oil sender?

you can buy a "thing" that only lets the oil get in so far, then it uses another liquid inside the car

It's alright guys. I've got the fittings tight, and we've(my mechanic buddies running 10's) have never had any problem with the nylon lines. In fact, my bro had one on the ranger when it had the 302 and it would peg the gauge at 130psi and never had any problems with the lines bursting.

O/T: I've been contemplating saving my money for a down payment on a newer car. It's so tempting now that I have some job security.... but that would mean my crx would stay the way it is, or at least it wouldn't get the turbo...
Both ideas are weighing heavily in my hands, and I can't decide what to do.
It would be smarter on one hand to have a new, reliable car, and most importantly I can carry passenger(s). On the other hand, I love my rex, and don't think I'll sell it. It will just become a toy. I can foresee it getting stripped out and getting a cage and it being made a "race" car.

I don't know. I think I'm going to hold off on the turbo parts until I know for sure what I want to do...
-Andrew

you just rebuilt the engine... its NEW

how much did you spend at kmc?

passengers suck. simple

you just dont love the rex any more... right?

& job security is not the only thing you need to buy a car....

you need 2-4 months of pay in the bank [at your age] in case anything goes wrong.

keep the rex, buy quality parts, put it together right an it will be reliable.

thats what you did SO
why turbo? you built an NA SOHC...... keep it how it is.

you might want to think about this move more than the first one.

ohh! and dont you have like 3 other cars as projects?

My thoughts cause I'm bored at work :ph34r:
you just rebuilt the engine... its NEW

how much did you spend at kmc?
$3700 But out of pocket was much less because of selling the Blazer.

passengers suck. simple.
Depends on how cute she is :ph34r:. Sorry, could'nt resist. 4 doors are important to him and myself as well. Only being able to carry one friend around at a time blows. Again, dependant on the cute factor. :p

you just dont love the rex any more... right?
He still loves the Rex very much. He's just kinda aggrivated at what KMS has done. That coupled with wanting a newer car/reliability and being able to carry more people is what is spurring this on.

& job security is not the only thing you need to buy a car....
you need 2-4 months of pay in the bank [at your age] in case anything goes wrong.
keep the rex, buy quality parts, put it together right an it will be reliable.
thats what you did SO
why turbo? you built an NA SOHC...... keep it how it is.
All of the above is well said.

you might want to think about this move more than the first one.
He is very fickle.. Haven't you figured this out by now? :p

ohh! and dont you have like 3 other cars as projects?
One other, the 240 SX. He's a n00b, what do you expect?

I don't think you need to be weighed down with a new car payment, personally man. It sucks rather bad. I'd save up a few grand, say 4 or 5,000... And roll up to Honda and pick you out a newer Civic or even a Subaru, since thats what you want, and use that for a down payment on a used one with an extended warranty. I know Thomasville Honda extends the warranty on their cars, I think 100,000 miles.

Regardless, with that much cash in hand, you can get em to come off the price alot and you can get a much newer car and have a lower payment for a shorter period of time ( 3 years is what I paid on my Accord).

My .02.

Terrance is pretty much right on everything. My car is actually really reliable, idk what I was meaning to say. It starts up everytime i want it to. It's just a few little things that I need to fix to make it perfect(FITV, exhaust, A/C) and I'll be content with it.

How's this for being fickle, terrance? :
I think instead of trying to finance a ~$18000 car, I should look around for a new(er) 4 door honda, like an Integra or something. That way it won't take NEAR as long to pay off, and my payments would be cut less than in half. 5, 6, 7k will get me a very nice Honda/Acura. all day long.

For the record, Formby, I'm not planning on selling my CRX. evAr! ^_^

How's this for being fickle, terrance? :
I think instead of trying to finance a ~$18000 car, I should look around for a new(er) 4 door honda, like an Integra or something. That way it won't take NEAR as long to pay off, and my payments would be cut less than in half. 5, 6, 7k will get me a very nice Honda/Acura. all day long.

I agree. My payments on the Accord, financed for $5,600/3 yrs was $198.00 a month, insurance was $115.00 I believe.

And if you saved up a few thousand for a down payment, thats gives you more leverage on negotiating a price.

but if you do this, is this the end of the Rex?

but if you do this, is this the end of the Rex?

I don't think so. At least I'm not planning on it.
You've seen what nice Honda's sell for on H-T and eBay all day long for.
Upgraded, swapped, turbo'ed, anything you want for under 7-8k.

OT:

I've passed you in Views on my thread :)

Working on 52,000 :) Only in the Integra forum on Honda-tech.

Thats cool man. H-T is good for stuff like that(#'s), but HS is where all the smart people reside...

haha

I feel ya Blanco! Every time I drive my dad's 330xi I want to step out of a Honda.

Thats why I want an STi. Comfort. Performance. 4 doors. new. fun.
But not the best idea for an 18/19 yr old to be financing a 20k car. I wanna have a little fun while I'm still a kid! Don't wanna be working my butt of for every penny I can.

Well sinc en00b has seem to have forgot.. Were goin to the track tomorrow and he's armed with some drag radials (albiet somewhat worn).

I predict 14.9-15.2 et's.

Think abotu ti Adrew, if you run Dustin (07 SI sedan) if you can run perfect and if he messes up a lil bit.. You may be able to take em :ph34r:

Yep. Heres the tires:

I just got them balanced today (had a little shimmy while not under load), so they're ready to go!

I got my exhaust done... it's so quiet I can't hear the car over the music. lol I love it.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow night, but I wish I had a few more days to get my car running tip-top. but w/e. I've just procrastinated too much this week.

Back