Andrew's engine swap (pics)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Before the first pass...

DSCN0993.jpg

on the second pass, about 6000k into 3rd gear, it clunks and he shuts it off. pull into the pits and find this.
Timing belt snapped and the valve cover is broke. (is there any connection? lol)
DSCN1003.jpg

DSCN1004.jpg

DSCN1006.jpg

so we trailered it home and tore it apart-
whoa.
DSCN1034.jpg

DSCN1037.jpg

Then we decided to pull it out. (theres gotta be TONS of metal shavings in there and stuff... so he's just going to figure something else out)
DSCN1053.jpg

DSCN1054.jpg

Had to bust this baby out more than once.....
DSCN1044.jpg

Mr. Motor!
DSCN1062.jpg

DSCN1063.jpg

crazy day...

My car is working great, been driving it around a bunch! pics and vids up soon.
-Andrew

Last edited:
Eh, wait, what's going on? I must have gotten behind on reading this thread. Who's car is the green Integra? :huh:

Update on Dev's motor-

Continuing to strip it down. He's gonna just use his LS block, my B16 head, and get his car running again for a while. I've got plans for this GSR Block :D

On to the pics

wow.... "YAY CROWER STG 3's!!!!" nawt...
DSCN1077.jpg

Devin at work
DSCN1084.jpg

DSCN1086.jpg

Then got the head off. (BTW, ARP studs are 13mm, 12points.)
DSCN1088.jpg

Bend valves much? Each cylinder had at least 1 bent... (per intake/exhaust)
DSCN1090.jpg

Then we dropped the pan to check out the insides. It looks like the oil swept most of the big stuff away, but you can still feel the metal in there. Time for hot tank!!

DSCN1126.jpg

So most of my updates will be on this since it's taking up most of my shop time. We're gonna try and get him running by this weekend (lotta work ahead of us! ) Thats our goal anyway. We'll see......
-Andrew

Last edited:
Oh yeah... this is a big LOL!

I'll just let the videos do the explaining...

So I guess I was right, they were little banana spiders-
DSCN1122.jpg

Now I have to deal with this crap on my B.
I'm thinking the hot tanking will take care of all of that though...
DSCN1116.jpg

GAH!! :)
DSCN1111.jpg

DSCN1117.jpg

DSCN1118.jpg

LOL :eek: :D

Holy crap! I really feel for your buddy Devin, Andrew. I think I'd cry if that happened to me after spending all of this time collecting parts for my build.

Whoa....

Dad figured they had just broke in half (or in your case, 3 pieces).

It happens, unfortunately. They may have went together bad.. may have been dropped at some point.

Who knows.

Just think if you had been spraying :p

And all those spiders and larva are just natures loc-tite. lol.

:p

mac_24_seven said:
Just think if you had been spraying :p

I know right. I think it could have been a MUCH harder break. as it is, I think the bottom end is fine, and even the head is fine, but it'll just need new valves/valve guides.
There is actually 1 place where a cam cap is cracked (on the exhaust cam, nearest the cam gear), but thats nothing a doner head wouldn't be able to fix.

Heres the progress on my B16-

Pulled/packed the cam caps-
DSCN1130.jpg

DSCN1132.jpg

Pulled/packed the Cams-
DSCN1133.jpg

DSCN1134.jpg

Went ahead and labeled the head bolts. I don't guess it matters too much, but it makes me feel a little better knowing they are in their original spot. I guess it's my CDO coming out in me. (CDO is OCD, except in alphabetical order, like it should be. :) )
DSCN1136.jpg

DSCN1137.jpg

Then pulled the head off- (I was surprised how relatively clean the surface was! (untouched)
DSCN1138.jpg

DSCN1140.jpg

Then pulled the tranny off-
DSCN1139.jpg

Then bagged everything up in trashbags to prevent further crazy spider/maggot things invading my parts... lol

DSCN1141.jpg

And thats that.
I suppose Devin will be using my B16 head on his LS block, unless we think up another plan. He just needs his car running ASAP, so it's all hands (and parts) on deck...
-Andrew

You want my GSR cams? That way he's got a lil upgrade?

I don't need em.. but I want the B16's though.

Bought a 1989 240sx yesterday!
142,xxx miles
5-spd w/ short shifter
old aftermarket exhaust (the dude said greddy or something)
Filter (like shortram)
some old aftermarket ignition system(not hooked up though-doubt it works)

DSCN1187.jpg

DSCN1189.jpg

DSCN1191.jpg

DSCN1192.jpg

Room for turbo- :D
DSCN1193.jpg

DSCN1197.jpg

DSCN1198.jpg

DSCN1199.jpg

I'm just going to "flip" it. I got a great deal on it, so I'm gonna use the profits to go towards my DownPayment on the new SI. :)
-Andrew

Last edited:
Got it in the shop and did figured out the main problem-

DSCN1202.jpg

DSCN1203.jpg

DSCN1204.jpg

DSCN1205.jpg

DSCN1208.jpg

DSCN1209.jpg

Back