Another Flyhwheel Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

H22AdelSol

Ive searched on the subject and havent came up with my answer. My question is not which is the best flyhwheel it is what happens when you drive a flywheel that is 8lbs compared to 12lbs? People on here say if its mostly a street car dont go 8. I dont care about the comfort of the ride, im into the performance.

If my car is going to be stiff and uncomfortable with tein springs but handles really well i dont give a shit.

Anyways will I gain a lot more out of the lighter flywheel? I was lookin at XACT because they seem like a reputable company but only have 8.8lbs. Then I saw clutchmasters but ive seen there clutches and how they suck.
look here
I think I might go with this flywheel
KAITEN SUPER KARUI FLYWHEEL: PRELUDE 92-02
So if anyone has any comments, pls post. thanks

with a lightened flywheel the moment of inertia is a lower value , making it easier to accelerate the flywheel basically.

a 12lb vs 8lb flywheel

moment of inertia = Mr^2/4
assuming they are a 24" diameter (I have no idea what they really are)

12lb, I=(12*(24^2))/4 = 1728 lb-in^2
8lb, I=(8*(24^2))/4= 1152 lb-in^2

the 8lb flywheel is 1.5x easier to spin. so it take less power to spin it, and it'll accelerate faster, the only problem I see with this is getting used to shifting, catching first gear is gonna be a bit more difficult, and you'll probably want a betterthan stock clutch disc. you'll most likely burn up a clutch disc or two getting used to the way the drivetrain reacts with a lightened flywheel. a small tap of the gas is going to rev the engine up faster now which is good and bad.

so you really don't gain any power by using a lightened flywheel , it just takes less power to spin the flywheel.

Originally posted by CRX-YEM@Mar 9 2004, 10:44 AM
moment of inertia = Mr^2/4
assuming they are a 24" diameter (I have no idea what they really are)

12lb, I=(12*(24^2))/4 = 1728 lb-in^2
8lb, I=(8*(24^2))/4= 1152 lb-in^2

I for a disc rotating on the axis perpendicular to its center of mass is I=(1/2)mr^2 (what a flywheel does)

your equation is for the rotational inertia through a diameter, which would be like spining a coin on a table.

I Have driven 2 cars with very light flywheels, one being the Toda flywheel (is like 8 something) and the ACT prolite which is 8.8.

Search for a post by me about the reasons I did not go with the Kautie Kumearlkadslr;kjl;kasjd;ljasdf flywheel (In the search, i spelled it right)

yup my mistake about the equations for I,
but it still makes the point.

I've had a Clutchmasters flywheel (7.5lb) on my Civic's engine for a good 25k+ miles, and it's very easy for me to drive. Clutchmasters makes good stuff. Don't believe everything you read. By the way, Fidanza makes Clutchmasters' flywheels anyway- CM just puts their name on it.

ive got an act stage 3 with xtreme pressure plate other then being a little harder to drive i would think lightened flywheels are anything but bad

I tryed searching about your post asmallsol but it didnt come up with anything

Back