Another looking for a laptop thread.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Drake

VIP
Currently I have a 10 inch netbook but lately I've been getting a little more into photography. Now when I say I'm getting into photography I mean I touch a few pictures up and crop them.

Due to the screen size its almost impossible to run any photo editing software. I have been looking at either the Dell xps 15 or 17. So I don't know if the extra two inches would really get me all that much. Thoughts?

Later today ill post the specs and pricing I have for both the 15 and 17

If editing on the run isn't too important for you, you might want to look into buying a laptop with the tech specs that matter for you, then grabbing a keyboard/mouse/huge monitor for a good bit cheaper than buying a laptop with a large screen. That's what I would do anyway- I keep all my major computing to my desktop.

There is a pretty good deal going on for the XPS 17 on GotApex.com today. Pretty much the highest spec they have for $1150ish

There's a really competent HP model, and a dell vostro on there as well. I like the Vostro series because they generally don't include all the Dell shovelware in the OS, although Dell has been getting a lot better about image bloat the last couple years.

That's a good point calesta. Ill take that into serious consideration.

I actually get a damn good deal through work. Its discounted up front plus I have automatic payroll deduction with zero intrest.

Yeah, hard to beat ordering through a corporate client.

And that's what I'm doing right now, I have a 32" tv hooked up to my XPS 15 but would prefer a 24" monitor. Just don't have a spare one.

I think I will go with the 15 I can bump the ram a bit whic would serve me better anyway

Battery life will be better on the 15 too, if that is a concern.

Thoughts on this setup?

Code:
PROCESSOR	2nd generation Intel® Core™ i5-2410M processor 2.30 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90 GHz	

VIDEO CARD	NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M 2GB graphics with Optimus	

MEMORY	8GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 Memory	

HARD DRIVE	500GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive	

HD DISPLAY	15.6 FHD B+RGLED TL (1920x1080) and Skype-Certified 2.0MP HD Webcam	

INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE	8X Tray Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)

Back