Any Ford guys? AODE transmission

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

My cousin has a 96 Explorer XLT; "5l" V8 with autotradgic transmission. The transmission on there blew up and she wanted to get it replaced. I was told the transmission is a AODE. Now, I found a 95 Mustang AODE tranmission. Does anyone know if that'll work? Will any AODE transmission work for that matter?

Thanks, Kevin

It'll work, "AODE" stands for "Automatic OverDrive Electronic". It's not a model of transmission.

You can use a Mustang trans, but not the older 5.0, and not the cobra / special models. You can use a 1996-1999 (I believe) auto trans from the V8 mustangs.

So a AODE from a 95 V6 Mustang would work, but not a 95 V8 one? I haven't looked at the transmission in person; but when I do, do I just compare length, connections, etc?

Thanks for the information guys!

if its an XLT, it is probably 4wd, and even though they are the same, the gear ratios may not be the same. You will also need to swap the Transfer case from the old tranny onto the mustang tranny.

It's an Explorer XLT, but definitely 2WD. I know this because i was looking for front axles when I did the brakes, and saw none, and my cousin managed to spin out on a U-turn in the rain when she hit the accelerator too hard.

You SHOULD be okay... But the gears still might be different considering its moving an SUV, not a car...

A group and I finished rebuilding an 89 mustang transmission, 5speed. Boy was it a pain.

it may not work i do believe that the pump stator is a diffrent length on them but im not for sure. just be really really carefull that you get the converter in there right or you will be looking for a 3rd trans or having some one take it apat and fux the pump i see that happen about once a week some one dosent get the converter in all the way and tells us that the trans we built is bad but the fu***d it up

Back