any GOOD BUILDERs here

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

allgo

i can get a ls vtec motor for cheap from some guy. he had gsr pistons in there and just swapped them out for itr.
my question is, what will i need to do to the block that will make it reliable and not blow?? nothing was done to the block except the pistons. how much will the addictional things will cost me to do?? will i need block giddle, squrter, ect.. i dont want to spend a fortune.

you don't need a girdle, you can't stick squirters in there because there is no passage in the block for them. i would get some arp rod bolts, how many miles on the motor? might as well replace all the bearings if you're going in there.

if i dont need any, i might just get it. it has arp bolts.

i wouldnt run an LS vtec with anything stock in the bottom end.... that bottom end is not designed to rev high and isnt balanced very well.... the best stock sleeved LS vtec ive seen in a while was built pretty well... TypeR crank (better balance) Eagle H Beam rods and JE 12.5:1 pistons and fully built B16 head.... I think thats the way to go... do everything including sleeves but if u cant afford sleeves thats the way to go... motor has great balance and runs like a dream.... hasnt had any problems as of yet and was built over a year ago.....

That's a load of misinformation... plus if you build an LS/VTEC with an ITR crank, it's not an LS/VTEC anymore.

then explain to me what it would be.... I believe an LS block is an LS block regardless of the crank or any other internalls... it still isnt tapped for vtec from the factor and the code is still B18B1... not C1 or C5....

So if I build an LS Vtec with a type R crank is it a "LSVtecR"????

NO!!! I Believe it is still LS VTEC!!!!!!! just with better balance... Fucktard....lol JK :D

dude, think about it, what's the difference between an ls block and a ITR block?

ls-
89mm stroke
rod length-5.394"
no oil squirters
no external oil cooler

ITR
87.2 mm storke
rod length-5.429"
oil squirters
block girdle
external oil cooler
high volume oil pump

an ls block with ITR crank
87.2 mm storke
rod length-5.429"
no oil squirters
no block girdle
no oil cooler

its just a cheap version of an itr block without any of the goodies. the main reason for going with an ls/vtec is because of the additional displacement that the ls has. putting a type r crank int there just defeats the purpose.

Originally posted by saturn_boy96@Nov 18 2003, 03:33 PM

its just a cheap version of an itr block without any of the goodies. the main reason for going with an ls/vtec is because of the additional displacement that the ls has. putting a type r crank int there just defeats the purpose.

agreed

Originally posted by InsaneCivicSedan@Nov 18 2003, 03:25 PM
then explain to me what it would be.... I believe an LS block is an LS block regardless of the crank or any other internalls... it still isnt tapped for vtec from the factor and the code is still B18B1... not C1 or C5....

So if I build an LS Vtec with a type R crank is it a "LSVtecR"????

NO!!! I Believe it is still LS VTEC!!!!!!! just with better balance... Fucktard....lol JK :D

Fuck off you fucktard. :angry:

Originally posted by B16@Nov 18 2003, 10:26 PM
no, he has a 2.0L gsr block with a CRV/LS crank in it. :)

:werd:

It's kinda a backwards B20/VTEC. :lol:

And for the record, I am nowhere NEAR one of the best engine builders on the site. You guys can continue to believe so, that's ok by me.

:lmao:

sorry to say, i did not insult any1. i posted the question and wanted help. thanks for all the post though. i guess ill be good with stock block with jdm itr piston and arp bolts right? i not planning to go past 8000 but will this be able to rev up to 9000 with no problem just in case of anything???

hmm 9000 is a bit steep man, I wouldn't be going there just on that setup.

I'd still keep it under 8500 to be safe... make sure all your bearing clearances are good, and that everything is balanced out nicely.

i know its up to me but i want to know if the motor is worth buying for 900? or should i just go build a new b20vtec?

i just want to get something clear, if i use an ls crank in a b16, i get 1.8???

Just build an LS/VTEC, bore it to 84mm.... If you want something better, just get a damn B16a and build it.... Bore it to a 1.8, and do the damn thing.

Back