any tech book recomendations

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

fionntan

Banned
I was wondering if anyone can recommend any books on engine building. I already have a haynes manual and I have a book by Mike Kojima about how to build honda engines, but I would like some more to read.

Do the helms manuals go into performance at all or is it just a service manual? I want to learn about tuning and in depth engine mods (why they work and how to make them work.) Do I want the 2,3,and 4 door shop manual, is that the general overview of the whole car.

It's not really engine building, but has a little info in it. More on turbochargers, tuning, etc, but well worth a read if it catches your interest. A must read if you are thinking of boosting.

Maximum Boost by Corky Bell
:thumbsup:

I will read anything that will help me learn more so I will pick up some of the helms manuals, but if there are any other books that will help please let me know. (about anything for cars)

always a good idea to get the helms manual
i recommend one for the chassis and one for the vehicle your engine is from (ie: 92 hatch with a 98itr swap... get the 92 civic shop manual and the 98 integra shop manual)
covers all of your angles
as far as performance reading goes...i would never really trust a book for more than basic theory... theres too much shit changing too often... too much technology and parts being constantly developed... any book is going to be a year behind the curve at least...
there is a shit ton of good info on the internet... unfortunately there is also a shit ton of bullshit you must wade through and sort out before you get to the good stuff

Thanks...I know about all the bull on internet that is why I want more books (more reliable supposedly). Well I understand the basic theory of how engines work and I have read a lot on what each system of the engine does, so I guess I will just have to get my hands dirty and learn some through trial and error. Thanx for the link B. and thanx for the recomendations.

research research research
make a list
research
revise list
research
revise list
research
revise list
research
revise list
research
revise list
research
revise list
research
revise list
research
revise list
research
revise list
research
revise list
research
revise list
research
revise list
throw out original list
make new list
research
revise list
research
revise list
research
revise list
research
revise list
research
revise list
research
revise list
research
revise list
research
revise list
research
revise list
research
revise list
research
revise list
revise list
revise list
revise list
buy parts
perform modifications to car
realize that "bolt on" means "if you fuck with it enough you can make it work"
swear a lot
get everything put back together
stare at "spare parts" wondering if they are important or not
retrace your steps to try and figure out where the hell all these parts go / went
realize that everything seems to work fine and say "fuck those parts"
put the spare pieces in a box
tuck the box in a corner somewhere
double check all of the bolts and connections to make sure everything is tight
enjoy your car

Back