Any tricks to diagnosing a misfire?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SlushboxTeggy

It's only stupid if it doesn't work
VIP
So my car has been missing every now and then lately. I tuned it up last summer so I'm suspecting I have a faulty plug or wire (I hope its something that cheap anyway). Any tricks to figuring it out without replacing them one by one in the rain?

yeah.

pull the plugs out. turn it over and have someone touch the spark plug wire. lol. That's how we used to do it years ago.

Well with no response yesterday I planned to pull it all apart and check out the cap, rotor, wires, plugs, and do a compression check.

Pulled of the cap to start. Went to pull off the rotor and it came off way too easy. Put it back on and realized it had enough play to actually wobble. Started inspecting stuff.

Turned out the inside of the rotor, specifically the metal insert that actually attaches to the rest of the distributor was cracked. Never have I been so glad to have extra tune-up stuff laying around. Popped on a fresh one and voila. No misfire. Have to love a $16 fix.

first start by checking for continuous spark. if you dont feel comfortable doing this yourself get one of your friends stoned and have him hold a screwdriver on eash plug wire while you crank it. if you see a continuous spark you can check that off your list. pull each plug also to inspect them. if that doesnt work replace the dizzy cap. and finally if all else fails you have a faulty injector.

Back