anyone have a hot tub/spa?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I would expect around a $20 a month hike in your electric bill if it's well insulated and effecient

dad has a 37K gallon pool and it runs him $90 a month

BTW cleaning it IS a bitch

The bath tub idea would be your best bet but it looks like you don't have the room. And as far as maintaining it, it really isn't a big deal. My rents have one. I have never heard of them draining and refilling it though and my dad would do something like that if it was needed. You should see him with the pool in the summer. It really is just a test and add chemicals type of situation. My only concern with where you want to put it is the humidity. I'm sure you could get some sort of dehumidifier though. The idea isn't too out there so I'm sure it's been done before. The guys where you would buy it could probably tell you a lot more than me though.

#1 never ask a salesman for advice on their product

hottubs are always on, a good cover should prevent some of the humidity but every time you remove the cover to get in the tub you're letting out some serious moisture

hottubs are said to be much cheaper these days than they were in the past, to the point that you don't need oil money to keep it warm 24/7, especially with a good cover...

what do you want the hottub for?
if you just want something to relax you can get one that fits in roughly the size of a standard tub... the more accessories/jets etc, the larger they get
if you want something you can enjoy with a "partner" i wouldn't enev think about getting one to go in your bathroom, they might be bigger than a normal tub but no where enough room to do your thing...

I'm thinking more in terms of re-sale value... and something to do while i'm doing laundry. throw a 20" lcd in there and a hot tub, and just chill while the lanudry does its thing :D

They are pretty cheap... i've looked at a couple online, and I can get one installed for about 2k.

have you ever been in a hottub?
they are cool for a while, but i think they'll get old pretty fast...

apparently they've been making some nice improvments
some of the newer ones will use the heat generated by the motor to warm the water, which = less electric burned on the heater

also keep in mind that most of the heaters require 220, and the pump/controls usually run off of 110
what kind of voltage do you have in your house?
electric stove? electric dryer? usually both 220

$2k installed, i don't know man, my jacuzi/soaker cost $1000 alone. and as far as electric goes, the pump and heater run on 120volt/15amp circuits.

bah, you won't use it. you'll use it a lot when you first get it. but even after a while you will find that you either don't have time or don't enjoy it as much as you thought you would.

then you will use it for a couple months when you realize you paid a lot for it and don't want to have it just sit there. so you will use it a little again. in the end you will be pissed you wasted your money when you could have bought something more usable.

i think i'd use it... i dunno.

if you're not sure you might as well not buy it. i'm not sure i would use an xbox 360 so i'm not going to buy it. but yours is a lot bigger purchase.

but an xbox doesn't add value to your home :D

a deck will add more value. so will a remodel. if you are doing it as an investment then do it because of that. if you don't entertain a lot, then you probably won't use it. if you have your mind made up already, then it doesn't make much sense for us to post about it.

i posted the maintanence link up above. its in your hands now homey.

i have a deck, and its owned and maintained by the association. again, i live in a condo. outside stuff is not mine, nor can i do anything like that any way...

2K installed sounds scray!

I believe my parents is a middle of the line tub and it ran them around 6K we installed it. how many people tub were you looking at? I believe my parents fits 5-6 adults.

Back