anyone know fortran?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lude9593

i just wanted to know how many of ya'll know the fortran programming language. i'd like to at least see if i have any helpful resources for my class this semester. thanks

Fortran??? Thats a first genearion programing language. Are you actually going to have to program with it or just do a report or somthing. Ill see what i can dig up on it though. Ill check my programing book really quick and see if there is some usefull information.

Edit:
http://www.fortran.com
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/languages/fortran/unfp.html

Fortran was developed in 1957 the full name for fortran is FORmula TRANslating. Fortran was designed at IBM for sientific computing.
Introduction to Computer Programing
Im currently attending ITT and that is right out of my Intro to programing book.

Fortran is the only language for real professionals, scientists and engineers. I'm sure he's learning it, lots of people do.

I wouldn't say it is the only language, but it is the only language running satellite systems and onboard flight control systems for a large majority of the world's aircraft. I learned it a while back, and I'd have to bush up on it. If you know any coding at all, most logic systems work the same way, just a little bit different syntax. I am learning VB for doing performance code for our aircraft. Good luck with the FORTRAN, it is a pretty simple language, and a lot of apps in the scientific world made pre-90's use it.

What about using the C family. The way i understand it, the C family is alot more powerfull then VB. Im still learing VB doing simple calculators that sorta thing. I dono im havin fun with it though. When I get my final project written ill post up some of my code for it. I wasnt aware that Fortran was still a widly used language but that would make sense that it is still used. Any ways best of luck to you.

yeah, i'm learning it. i go to nc state and am a mechanical engineering major. don't know if that's what i want to do. like to do something automotive but we'll see. just have to jump through the hoops.

Originally posted by Drake@Feb 7 2005, 11:07 PM
What about using the C family. The way i understand it, the C family is alot more powerfull then VB. Im still learing VB doing simple calculators that sorta thing. I dono im havin fun with it though. When I get my final project written ill post up some of my code for it. I wasnt aware that Fortran was still a widly used language but that would make sense that it is still used. Any ways best of luck to you.
[post=457882]Quoted post[/post]​

From what I have heard, VB and C are fairly similar, C just has a lot more functions. I am using VB, because it outputs to excel internally; all the jobs I have looked at ask for excel experience. Excel is also good for showing visually what is going on, which is what most of my life has been about the last few months: Powerpoint presentations using excel performance graphs... I want to learn C somewhere down the line as well. But like I said, if you know one language, it's pretty easy to pick up others.

Originally posted by pills_PMD@Feb 8 2005, 07:47 AM
fotran is the first step to learning finite element analysis, mesh and nodal
[post=457962]Quoted post[/post]​

or just learn it by doing it on eng. comp paper, like I did. :p

word. i kinda jumped right into ANSYS for finite element analysis.. i'm not very proficient at it yet, but I'm working on it.. teaching yourself isn't too easy. i'm not taking any classes on it.

the kind of FEA i'm talking about, there is no way in hell you could ever do on paper...

anisotropic 3D reinforced woven composite structures... good luck :)lol

I just know the basics, I haven't really gotten into really hard stuff. I try to stay from structural analysis if I can avoid it. :p

yea.. i specialize in composites, armor and we are currently making a structural neck support... so i'm forced to do it sometimes

I need to learn some FEA real fast... all the companies out there want MEs with FEA experience.

true that.. all the STTR/SBIR solicitations that are of interest to my company and myself all require some sort of computational modeling... bastards!

fuck it... we should start our own company.. move to michigan :)

Back