Anyone On Here Have A Bike?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Baker

sI've pretty much decided that instead of spending the $2800 i saved on turbo stuff I'm going to go make a down payment on a bike. I'm just wondering if anyone on here has one, what you have, and how much you like it.

I get my cousins '00 Ninja 6R for my b-day in acouple of weeks. Since its forsure mine, i guess i technically own it. :p

bikes are bad .... mmmk

i HAD a bike
rode for 3 years.... i was always pretty careful... never did wheelies or fucked around like that ... sped on ocasion when the time and place was right (empty highways)... mostly just enjoyed corner carving on twisty back roads....

Saturday June 3rd 2000
it was sunny day about 12:45 in the afternoon
i was traveling northbound twards an intersection doing about 40-45mph in a 40mph zone (compleatly reasonable speed) the light was green and i entered the intersection..... just as i entered the intersection the 99 Dodge Ram that was comming southbound didnt see me and turned left directly in front of me.... i had no time to do anything... i hit the brakes and tried to swerve as i slammed into the side of the truck at 45mph....

i dont remember any of what i just told you.... if it wasnt for my friend Tee-Jay that was following me in his car i wouldnt know any of it... i have no memory for 3 days before the accident or 2 weeks after... my first memory was waking up in the hospital with an external fixator on my leg and arm, stitches everywhere, a C collar on my neck, and more wires and tubes comming off of me than i could count...

injuries:
stage 3 compound fracture right Tibia and Fibula (lower leg)
8 inch laceration right knee
dislocation right knee cap
14 inch laceration right thigh
fracture left Radius (forearm)
broken ribs right side (unspecified number)
collapsed right lung
fracture C1 and C2 (neck)
smashed cheek bone right side (yes i had a helmet on)
smashed eye socket right side
broken nose

treatment:
right leg - bone graft, skin graft, muscle graft, stitches/staples, external fixator (3 months), cast (6 months), brace (1 year, still used for heavy activity) still rehabing
left leg - stitches/staples
left arm - bone graft, 5 pins, external fixator (6 weeks), cast (3 weeks), rehab (6 months)
chest/lung - drain tube (2 weeks), stitches, breathing excercises (3 months)
neck - C collar 6 weeks, rehab (6 months)
eye/nose/cheek - head was cut ear to ear, face was pealed off, about 16 screws and a few plates were put in to reconstruct everything, face was put back on, 64 internal stitches, 64 staples

was in a wheel chair for 3 months, on crutches for 5 months (walked on cast for one month), cane 2 months
still have nerve damage (some places i cant feel shit some places are hypersensitive)
shit load of scars

over all it really wasnt a good 18 months
definatly dont recomend it

s3e2e011b55057.jpg

oh and as for the truck:
large ass dent
blown out tire
broken axle
broken driveshaft
sheered the leafspring away from the frame
bent the frame
blew the rear window out of the cap on the bed
somehow made the wheel on the opposite side of the truck crooked

the driver was a professional truck driver with over 1 million miles logged without a single blemish on his driving record

i know that this isnt going to stop anyone from getting a bike or riding or whatever.... just want people to know what can happen.... i got off pretty easy.... in the 2.5 years since my accident i personally know 16 people who have gotten into accidents on bikes... from simply dumping it, a few got fucked up, a few died, one kid actually had is head ran over and lived through it... he now has severe brain damage... he cant do normal everyday shit without assistance... the worst part is, he knows it... he knows he use to be able to do all of this stuff, and now he cant..... there are some fates worse than death

shit happens, anytime, anywhere
id rather be protected by a car when it does

esolsi, glad to see that you made it through, thats a pretty fucked up accident...i used to have a bike, but i sold it after i heard this story on the news...this 20 year old military guy was riding home on the highway at like 2 in the morning. he must have hit a tire or had his tire slip out because a passerbyer found the guy laying on the side of the road. His legs had been torn off and he was still alive when they found him...he died like 4 hours later in the hospital because of the trauma. after i heard that story, i decided that riding just wasnt worth it...sure its fun and gives you a rush, but theres just too much risk involved. i ate it once going like 10 mph and i still have scars to show it...

I own a 99 Yamaha R1 (the main reason why my car is still slow). Been riding bikes for longer than I've been driving cars. I have had one accident on my bike, I was at Daytona and was learning how to drop my bike in and out of turns and the bike slipped and landed on my ankle and broke it in a few spots. That was about a year ago and I've had 2 surgeries and a metal plate since and I work just fine.

I love riding my bike and will never give it up. E_Sol's accident was pretty nasty but I could show you some pictures of car crashes at 20mph that will make you throw up out of every hole in your body.

I won't even be tough about it, I probably don't have one only because my dad won't let me. He has had 2? of his best friends die on motorcycles. He hates them so much, that he would probably never talk to me if I got one. Most of my friends have them though. Up here in Laconia, NH (Bike Week, the little brother to Sturgess), bikes are pretty big. My friend just got an R1 and my other friend just got like a 929 race bike. it sucks when they are all like "lets go for a ride" and I have to sit in my car, but hey, the whole time I just end up thinking that I don't want my friends to die.

oh the new bike :p 2003 CBR600RR
s3ea36235a3950.jpg
...got it last weekend as of last weekend 39 miles on it!! i had an 89 fzr 600 (biggest p.o.s. ever but a good starter bike) last year

Once my sol is sold i am buying my buddys 99 Yamaha fzr 600 for $3000 wit 9000 miles and he just did everything, tires, battery, chain, etc. so i am gettin a killer deal, and my best friend her dad was killed on a motorcycle, something similar what happened to e_solsi but i mean, i know people who have road for years and people who have road for days, it just depends how lucky you are.....

Originally posted by civ90hb@Apr 24 2003, 09:48 AM
Once my sol is sold i am buying my buddys 99 Yamaha fzr 600 for $3000 wit 9000 miles and he just did everything, tires, battery, chain, etc. so i am gettin a killer deal, and my best friend her dad was killed on a motorcycle, something similar what happened to e_solsi but i mean, i know people who have road for years and people who have road for days, it just depends how lucky you are.....

an FZR600 is a great beginner bike but you'll get real tired of it real quick. the thing i hated most about my FZR was the slim rear tire, the fact that battery kept dying every 6-8 months. the fzr series is notorious for running the battery dry. it happened to me and 2 other people i know.

Im thinking about an F3 or Katana 600 sounds like good starter bikes =)

Originally posted by rsaeini+Apr 24 2003, 02:19 PM-->
@Apr 24 2003, 09:48 AM

an FZR600 is a great beginner bike but you'll get real tired of it real quick. the thing i hated most about my FZR was the slim rear tire, the fact that battery kept dying every 6-8 months. the fzr series is notorious for running the battery dry. it happened to me and 2 other people i know.

Ah, well my buddy just did everything, battery, tires, and also it has exhaust, stage 1 jet pack and a few other things so it'll be a bit quicker than stock but i'm sure i will get tired of it but i dunno if i want bigger and faster cause i tend to do some stupid shyt haha....

Originally posted by jeffie7@Apr 24 2003, 05:31 PM
Im thinking about an F3 or Katana 600 sounds like good starter bikes =)

buy a F3 before you even consider a katana, they're a pos. ask anyone who has ever ridden one and they will tell you the same. i've had a CBR600F2 and an F3. loved both of them. probably the best all around bikes i ever had. my F3 was quicker than my buddies 900RR in a light to light race but he would always get me on the freeway.

i been riding for about 4 years almost five ... i just sold my cbr600f2 ....i loved that bike ... and if this is your first bike u are ever going to own ...i would suggest buying a used one first if u really wanna learn how to ride it ...draggin knees ect... save another grand ...and buy a used one ..its cheaper will be quite fast even though there are faster bikes ... but who cares how fast the bike is if u cant ride for shit! get a used bike learn how to drag knees first before u go new ... buy a leather suit riding boots and kevlar gloves ... good helmet ..would suggest arai or shoei ..they are the shiznits ... dosent matter how fast a bike is ... going straight is for noobs ... if ur not going to learn how to hang with the big boys ..dont get a bike and be a poser! get a cbr 600f3 or f4 easy bikes to learn on ...very forgiving compare to others ..very good handling ... and dont go riding around without ur helmet like those fuckin dumb ass harley boys or those damn flamers on sport bikes ... i hope they all wreck with shorts on hahahahahhahaahhahahah idiots ...well imo get a cbr f2 f3 f4 all good bikes worth every cent i would post a pic of me draggin knees but i dont know how .... i dont know shit about computers lolz

I got my bike back in 00...a 98 GSXR, it was $5000 but I took a loan out for $5500 just because I knew I needed a helmet. and I got the exact one I wanted. And every time I road that bike, wore it. SO that is just my advice. I used to get made fun of it by the people I would ride ya know the saying "Only wear a helmet if you wanna live long enough to feel the pain" but the way I figured it, if Its gonna happen its gonna happen, but I would feel like an ass if I lost half my brain power just because I didn't feel like wearing a helmet.

bandit3q.jpg

right now the Bandit is on the top of my list
remember if your new to bikes and your young under 23 call your insurance company first!

$366 a year for liability only or $700 for full coverage

not bad for 20 and a first bike

I've heard of some people in PG County being quoted 8K bucks a year
last night when I was on the phone with the insurance lady I told her about that and she said the highest she quoted a person was $9999 a year and thats only becuase the computer could not list any higher

if youre under 23 make sure you do your reshearch
before buying a bike its also more reason to stick with a smaller cc bike

BTW a 900RR would cost me 1400 for just liability and Im guessing 3000 for full coverage

and I've only had one speeding ticket and that was almost 4 years ago

Jeff

Back