Anyone rebuilt a tranny?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I rebuilt my engine, down to a bare block, and it runs perfect. But trannys are a completely different beast to me. Here's the thing: I have a decent DX tranny in it now, but it's old. I have an HF tranny that just rocks for MPG, but 10,000 rpm damaged the synchros, I think. Let's just say that it didn't want to go into gear the way it used to. What do you think, buy a manual and go for it?

super easy just be aware of the fact you will need to buy a couple of tools if you don't have them. buy parts from a local transmision supply shop

yeah bro its pretty easy haynes manuals dumb that shit waaay down for you i know it helped me out alot

GET ALOT OF LILL ZIPLOCK BAGS AND A SHARPIE

LABEL YOUR SHIT OR YOUL HAVE EXTRAS LEFT OVER

DO NOT BUY A HAYNES MANUAL. go spend the 50-90 and get a helms

whats wrong with the haynes? it worked just fine for mine very thurough on the 88-91 civics? i didnt have questions with it at all

whats wrong with the haynes? it worked just fine for mine very thurough on the 88-91 civics? i didnt have questions with it at all personal pref i guess

well it sucks for tranny it dosn't properly cover anything

The factory service manual is printed by Helms. It has all the proper diagrams, correct torque specs and clearances, and no fucked up black and white photos of crap with someone's greasy hand in the way. I've found quite a few numbers in the Haynes manuals that don't match up with the factory supplied information that's in the Helms. You're better off with the official manual.

As for rebuilding the transmission- it's not too hard. Just keep all your parts in order and make sure you have all your clearances dead on! Shimming the differential can be a bit tricky, but it's not too bad.

just bought mine a couple days ago, 70 bucks shipped.

Originally posted by MikeBergy@Jan 9 2005, 09:03 PM
just bought mine a couple days ago, 70 bucks shipped.
[post=443497]Quoted post[/post]​

Trannys are not hard at all. You dont need a manual. Just pay attention to how they come apart. Also there is the one spring clip on the end of the counter shaft you need to get off first. You need to spread it apart, and its so tight i couldnt get any tools in there. i ended up using 2 screwdrivers, a chisle and a hammer. dont understand how i did it, but i did.

Dont know if the trannys would swap years, but If your rebuilding your tranny, you may want to concider doing a final drive swap. I have a spare 92-95 SI final drive set. pm me if your interested. I did an SI FDR swap in my cx tranny, and its great. Perfect for a turbo, but you get one hell of a 1st-2nd, and my 3rd pulls strong all the way to 110. 4th and 5th are overdrive, so you still have your gas mileage. Another thing you can do is put your dx FDR in the hx, and it will have a similar effect, just not as drastic. plus you get the practice of pulling a tranny apart before you build your new one.

ya no manual ( I have rebuilt a shit load of tranney and for the life of me i can never guess all the torque specs correctly or clearnces?)

well i guess im gonna quit working on tranneys cause i use a manual
calesta you need to quit too

Back