apply for a new job or not

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRX-YEM

Super Moderator
VIP
warning long rant ahead

void main ()
{
begin rant

Ok, it's not that I don't like were I work or what I do. I'll explain.
Currently I work for a small company privately owned by 3 guys 17 employees in the US facility, about the same in the UK. I work in an engineering lab most of the day. I like what I do, I like the 3 guys I work for they are really good people, I've been here for 10 years, I've grown to know these guys on a really personal level etc... The remain groupd of employees are nice everyone for the most part gets along great.

Some of my tasks in no order of importance
1 Maintain our novell server, and all client machines, soon to be 2 servers, and all backup systems
2 Answer stupid comp realted questions from co-workers
3 Set-up new systems etc.. be it for final test, calibration, accounting, engineering etc..
4 Mannage most IT functions find webhosting, phone service , and ISP, a pbx system etc..
5 Maintain website, and manage any outsourced development.
6 Work closely with senior engineers to design, build, test, prototype and currrent production sensors.
7 designs are electrical,mechanical and computer interfaced in general
8 Design final test fixtures, or cailbration routines.
9 Using Autocad, Algor, Quickfield, Ansys , mathcad etc... qualify design
10 Produce final test software with Labview or simly an excel sheet to record data
11 R&D work for new products, test new products etc...
12 Communicate with customers and resolve problems
13 Communicate with Sales manager and reps to find solutions for new and existing customers, along with
providing answers to stupid computer questions

I could go on and on I wear a lot of hats and I'm expected to be on time with my engineering/r&d projects w/ all the other bs that needs paying attention to. Just last week for some stupid reason the backup system just stopped doing backup jobs. and I have a project on hand that is extremely important. so I've got to split my time but and I can't fall behind on my project.

again I'll reiterate I do like my current job it's fun challenging and I like the people I work with

So here's some of my benefits , I'm salary, I've got flextime in by at least 10am, work a full day go home.
take a poets (piss off early tomorrows saturday) day every so often , 4 weeks vacation, 3 sic days, 2 personal. medical benefits, 401K , paid holidays,they pay for my schooling, I've got like 90credits and 10 years experience just not a full degree yet, my work environment is very flexible and laidback really

My current salary for all the above ~ $37K, not to shabby but I feel like I'm getting taken advantage of.
Yeah so I don't have a degree but my experience and knowlegde gained overall I think warrents a higher pay rate. also if we were to outsource any of our computer support needs man it would cost a bundle really.
In the long run I'm saving them money, hell I just cut thier long distance and phone services cost in half.
I'm about to save them about $1500 a year in webhosting as well.

so this is why I ask, should I look for another job.

I found a job posting looking for very similar tasks, I feel I can fulfill all requirements of the current job listed for this other company. looks like better benefits medical and dental, paid holidays and vacation. although this new job requires at least an AS in electrical engineering which I don't have. I think my expereince speaks for itself and I would be well qualified for this new position.

Should I at least apply and see what's out there, possibly see what I'm really worth, or just try and present my case and ask for a raise.

}

also keep in mind my first job when I was 15 I worked at a Deli. I started with my current company when I was 18 and have been there ever since, so in all I've only ever had 2 jobs my whole life, unless you consider a paper route at the age of 11 or 12 til lI was 15 a real job or not. in t hat case I've had a total of 3 jobs since I was about 11 or 12 and I'm going on 29 this year.

So any opinions would be appreciated
and thanks in advacne, sorry no clifs
D.

If I where you I would I would go ahead and apply. I just got a new job and I still look around for a better position. If you feel like your being takin advantage move on. But if you are living comfortably and enjoy your job then stick with it. Would you be able to ask them for a raise? That could be another option.

Just look at the mess I'm in....I made good money, loved the work, and people I worked with.....

Now I'm not even sure whats going to happen... :cry:

My buddy crossed the line and he's telling me the truth about whats going on..on the inside. They are using this strike to re-asses what we need to do, how to do it, what cuts can be made, careout what outsoursing they had plan, and plan more outsursing. A company that big is not going to miss a few thousand jobs, if their production cost drops, and the work gets done cheaper somewhere else...hell...I might be forced to move to PA...screw that. I'd rather go back to the military side of the production hangar and work here. All the guys on my shift, in the hangar I work at are all in the same boat as me...we can hold out any longer and we need paychecks, insurance, and a job.

After the 21 days of the strike..if the unfair labor charge that the union placed on the company is somehow turned into an economical only charge..then everyone on strike can be fired...and only the guys that actually worked and had good skilled will be asked back. I know I'm one of the guys they want back, so I'm safe, I can either re-apply and get stuck somewhere for a few years and work my way back up to where I am now...and call it a day....the other guys that didn't perform to standard will never get back in, and the union will dissiminate.

Granted...I can just go up to HArtford or New haven and pick up a job for less money working on the jumbo jets, but I do like where I'm at, and I wish this damn strike never happened. IT's already screwed my life up enough to never want to work with a union again...but if I have to, then I will. If.....I do cross the line, then my career is over in CT....and my years are going to get limited...but I can always just sell everything and move back to Japan, and be a normal person again....

Sorry for the rant.....but there is a point...if you can find.

You may be happy where you are, but something might happen or a better offer will pop up...and your going to think...right now you are thinking. Now think, whats going to happen if you did get the job and you left the place you were comfertable with, but they lacked the money to pay for your skill that you can dedicate to the company that you have now? Will the next company give you the same bennies that you have now? weigh the bennies...not the weekly paycheck....will the other company ask you to relocate? Can you ask your current company to give you a little raise? FWIW...I don't have a degree, but a ton of experiance...but when I get shuffled in the other other stack of employees...I get slapped on the bottom for promotions, but I get asked to do the upper guys jobs...

Hell...I don't even know anymore if my typing has any relavence for this post...but it did feel good typing it...I guess I had to vent....

but I have a lot more venting to do.... :ph34r:

Right now in CT I would keep the job, or look REALLY fast.

I mean, even if you're happy with your job you should look around. It's not marriage. You're looking out for yourself and if you find a company you like - apply. If they like you and you like them, and the money or position is a step up than take it.

You don't owe your company anything.

i know what you do there, and honestly, i thought you made double that. i'm shocked.

i would have a left a long time ago, personally.

Have you asked for a raise? you got the baby and wife now, so they might appease your situation some...

I like what Cel just said, You dont owe your company any thing. Keep that in mind.

Back