Are all Honda 1500 blocks the same?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bobnewhart1234

I have a '86 Honda Civic DX (same body as SI, just carbed) and I was wondering if anyone knew if a D15 head would mount to the block on mine?
I'm trying to avoid swapping engines, but it's not entirely out of the question.
Also, does anyone know if the transaxle from my car would line up the same as lets say a D16 or B18?
I'm not a total newbie, but i've never done anything like swaps before. Any information would be great!

Hey, .. uh... Bob. (An interesting alias in today's world)

The DX is mostly the same body as the Si. The Si has a lot of differences that aren't apparent, but that's not your question..

Not any D15 head will work. The DX and Si have the same head, but one is mated to fuel injected intake manifolds, and the other to a carbbed one. Block and head are the same. HF's have similar blocks, but the heads are different - HFs have roller rockers for reduced friction.

When you say "transaxle", you mean Transmission and axles. The EW transmissions and axles are different than the D16 or B18. None of those combos will bolt up.

When you swap in a Honda, what you're swapping is both engine and Transmission. Exceptions exist, such as K series swaps, and the B18C1 and B18C5 is the same transmission.

Swaps are generally the same mounts as the donor car, and the host car usually houses the wiring. After that there are a few examples that require motor mounts from a 3rd donor, or in the case of the First gen, any D series swap will require mounts from the machine shops. The B18A is the easiest swap in the world for that car, from the 86-89 Integra. Those mounts are the same.

The cam cover needs to be removed unless you get the "ZC" hood, which gives you an extra CM to accomodate.

Uhhh...you mean the D16a1. Like you said though the ew/D15a3 si head is the same as the d15a2 head but the flows better. Carbed d15b's and zc's are availible on ebay, but to install these engines youll have to use a 86-89 integra transmission (note that one bolt wont line up with the bell housing, you can leave it out) , the integra trans mount, rear mount and a modified drivers side mount (has to be cut, shortened,and rewelded). This would allow you to run a newer d-series block and head combination while retaining the carbs. Jdm carbed honda engines came with side draft carbs. Easy to modify bike carbs for perfomance.

D16z6 Writeup....sticky? - Red Pepper Racing

This would save you from having to change over to fuel injection

JDM D15b Dual carbed

b903_1.JPG

eBay Motors: Honda D15B JDM Used Engine (88-91) Civic DX/LX (item 310029006359 end time Mar-07-08 13:08:25 PST)

Last edited:
Celeb - Would a B18A from a 91 Acura work? There's 1 on ebay now.
eBay Motors: 91 B18A ACURA INTEGRA ENGINE WITH 5 SPEED TRANSMISION (item 290211431792 end time Mar-10-08 07:08:56 PDT)

I might just have to swap my head with an SI head/fuel injection system. My transmission went out while I was on a trip and didn't have much choice but to get a rebuilt one put in for $1200, I'd have to have paid that and then not use it. :p

I want to go to fuel injection, would it be better (or easier) to go with the SI head/Fuel Injection/ECU/Wiring harness or just take off my carb and put on an aftermarket fuel injection system?

Easier to go with stock, and bring the stock ECU and wiring over from it. But I need to feel out your technical abillities - because this isn't going to be easy.

And with a name like "Bob Newhart", how old are you ? If you don't mind me asking.

The ripe old age of 23. Bob's not the real name, but it works.

Well I think I've decided to go with a whole engine swap to the SI. I've seen JDM ones online for around 500 plus freight. And I should be able to find most of the electrical stuff at a junk yard. But that way I can tweek everything before I put it in the car.

I've done all the maintainance on all my cars, changed clutches, swapped ignition systems (MSD), swapped heads, changed timing belts/gears, exhaust (headers/cat/cat-back kit), and helped my buddy build his mustang engine.

From the looks of everything about my car, installing the wiring harness/ECU is going to be the hardest part. But I'm pretty confident I should be able to handle it, if not I've got friends that'd help as well. And if take enough pics of how the SI's set up I should be able to set up my car the same. (Hopefully anyway!)

At least going to FI will get rid of most of those damn vaccum hoses!

Oh, I was commenting because Bob Newhart is a comedian that is even too old for MY generation (30something)

Back