are d series blocks interchangable ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Kobischka

I just wanted to make sure if d series engine blocks are interchangeable before I purchase one.

They're not ALL interchangable.

If you want to run a VTEC head, some blocks dont have valve relief on the piston heads to allow VTEC.

For instance, dont by a D15B6. (CRX HF motor) cause it wont allow for a VTEC head to be mated with it.

Wow, the misinformation.

Only physical engine mod needed to make a VTEC head work on a non-VTEC block(88-00 years), is removing the oil restrictor between the #2 and #3 cylinders.

A VTEC head will bolt onto a D15B6 block, and a D15B8 block for that matter.

They're not ALL interchangable.

If you want to run a VTEC head, some blocks dont have valve relief on the piston heads to allow VTEC.

That isnt a valve relief, that is the quench area on the dome of the piston. Which also has nothing to do with the operation of vtec in any way whatsoever. All D-series blocks are of the same casting, just like the B-series.

What do you mean by casting?

I know there's issues with PM3 pistons and milled VTEC head. The non-VTEC pistons have valve reliefs that are in a different position than the VTEC heads....although I've never seen anyone run into this issue with the P29s. The PM3's higher compression height is probably the cause of it though. Otherwise; there are guys running VTEC heads on D15 blocks with zero problems

Back