Are early s2000s reliable?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

90B16a1si

All the magazines say how reliable they are but then I read about failing oil injector bolts, clutches, and trans problems. (The clutch is a good excuse to upgrade)

Can I beat on one like I do my civic and not have it fall apart on me?

(note * I don't care about the rear window on the early cars or the lack of torque)

Throwout bearings are another known problem with them...

Best thing to do... cars.com and click on research... read around...

or post on S2ki.com

:werd:

Yes, they are reliable... but anything will break if you beat on it enough. The S2k is higher strung than your typical OEM B series setup, plus it's tuned more aggressively- so you have to treat it right.

I've already driven my 2003 for 9k miles, and it's been perfect the whole way through.

I won't be waiting long, the more I test drive them, the more I want. I'd go for 03+, though--The rear window is enought to warrant paying more. :)

Yup, although the glass rear window started in model year 2002.

My biggest problem is that my drive to work is 11 miles of curvy back roads with no other traffic except deer and turkeys. (only one deer so far, very limited damage) I tend to work my cars pretty hard. But I also maintain them pretty religiously.

rear diff's blow out. i hear it more and more.
it happened to mine (2000) but honda replaced it under warranty (even though i didn't have the extended warranty) and i only had to pay labor, and no.. they wouldn't just give me the part to put in.

How many miles before it went out? I'm assuming the replacement is an upgrade, Do you know how much the part is?

I like to replace everything before it breaks. This is possible on a honda only, in my experience.

Quoted post[/post]]
rear diff's blow out. i hear it more and more.
it happened to mine (2000) but honda replaced it under warranty (even though i didn't have the extended warranty) and i only had to pay labor, and no.. they wouldn't just give me the part to put in.

Yeah, I heard about that... fixed on 2004-2005.

Quoted post[/post]]
How many miles before it went out? I'm assuming the replacement is an upgrade, Do you know how much the part is?

I like to replace everything before it breaks. This is possible on a honda only, in my experience.

You can't beat on them- no clutch dropping launches or anything and they'll last. I'm upgrading mine anyway because I want to run a LOT more power than stock.

i just got a stock replacement. new they are around 3,000 from honda.
you can get used ones for around 1000.

You can't beat on them- no clutch dropping launches or anything and they'll last. I'm upgrading mine anyway because I want to run a LOT more power than stock.

do the motors and trannys hold up to a beating, or is the whole drive train likely to break if beaten on...?

some guy died yesterday in an S2K near me...
single car accident, with no passengrs
driving too fast for slick roads...
flipped over a couple times... seat belt was on
massive head trama = dead

Well, it's like any engine, rag the fuck out of it, expect problems. And as for the dude dying, that was 100% driver's fault. Whether he a.)dosen't know how to drive in adverse conditions, b.) tried to have some fun by sliding around or c.) is just an asshat is no fault from the engine, tranny, or car in away. It sucks...that an S2000 got totalled.

I'm sure you've looked in to the comptech reinforced differential. Not a bad price if you ask me. I wonder if it's just a swap or what.

Back