Are forged pistons worth it???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Gnarphantom

I am working on building an all motor CRX. I have an LS Swap already in it, now I am going LS/VTEC. Here is the list so far

Stock LS block
Eagle Rods
Walbro
440 RC Injectors
Hand Command ECU ( most likely running Crome)
Catch Can
B16 Tranny with Stage 3 Clutch and lightened flywheel
ARP main studs
ARP head studs
ARP Rod bolts
ARP flywheel bolts
Adjustable cam gears
Injen cold air intake
Skunk2 dual bend (had to throw it in cause I love these things)
Thermal R&D 2.5 Exhaust

Still plenty to get yet but I am going for 11.5 to 12-1 compression. Is it worth it to buy forged or should I just go with some CTR or ITR pistons instead?

you're honestly best off with JDM p30 b16 pistons. They fit the Ls rods. ctr won't. itr are actually less comp than jdm p30 (and also don't fit the rods).

straight ls, it goes to 11:1. depending on which vtec head you go with, you're right in your comp range you're looking for

I was wondering about the p30's. I have seen a lot of people build LSVTEC with them. Now I was hoping to hit 240 N/A, which I know is high for LSVTEC but that is why I was wondering about forged pistons. I will be going with a B16 head with P&P, most likely with BC spring, valves, and retainers, but I am currently undecided on cams. Thanks B I didn't know CTR and ITR wouldn't fit Eagle rods. Any suggestions on cams would be nice also, I was thing BC stage 2 but there are so many out there!

they MIGHT fit the aftermarket rods, but i'm not 100% sure on that. i know for fact they won't fit the stock LS rods though. the wrist pin is different.

240 whp is simeply not going to happen with 11:1 and a stage2 cam. you're more around 200.
you'll need to go well above 13:1 with a stage 3 or 4 cam to get to 240. But, going that high puts you on the verge of needing race gas to make that power. 200-220 all motor whp is a quick car. you don't be disappointed.

you don't want to run too large of a cam for your compression, so don't run 11:1 and a stage4 cam... it just doesn't work that way.

Compression Calculator - Honda, Acura Tech Website, tutorials, tuning and HOW-TO's. Drag racing, street racing, road racing - C-speedracing.com

with the p30's and the b16 head, you're at 11.5:1.
pair that up with a stage2 cam and the retainers/etc to hold it, and you'll hit 200+

I will be happy with anything over 200. I have been tossing around the idea of nitrous, just like 50 - 75 shot. Obviously I'm not trying to build a race car, just a fun daily driver.

I'd say do the motor stuff first with the p30's and a stage2 cam and get it tuned up. if you're still not happy, consider juice.... but i wouldn't suggest juicing a daily driver. filling nitrous gets expensive quick

Ya that's true on the nitrous. I will have the motor built and tuned before I go any further, for sure.

im amaze how much knowledge you guys have on motors, when i grow up i want to know as much on motors as you guys do....=(

im new by the way. just reading post mainly so i could build up my knowledge and help after

Back