As if the Pikes Peak Hill Climb wasn't cool enough

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Damn. That's badass! :thumbsup:

The only problem is that rally in general and the Pikes Peak Hill Climb might suffer a fate similar to the import "scene" and TF&F... "Yeah, I was a PPHC junkie before Jesse James ran in it and I watched it on the D" and "Dude- I wanna build a hill climb car too cuz I saw big JJ do it y0!"

:lmao:

Originally posted by Calesta@Jun 22 2004, 03:45 PM
Damn. That's badass! :thumbsup:

The only problem is that rally in general and the Pikes Peak Hill Climb might suffer a fate similar to the import "scene" and TF&F... "Yeah, I was a PPHC junkie before Jesse James ran in it and I watched it on the D" and "Dude- I wanna build a hill climb car too cuz I saw big JJ do it y0!"

Hell no. Nothing doing. "Import scene" can be done for under $2500. Cost of a real race car= way more than any ricer can afford/ want to spend ("I don't wanna scuff my Scorchers, y0!")... That, and racing is sanctioned by responsible people, who will kick your ricer ass off the stage if you try any bullshit.

Pikes Peak needs all the help it can get to keep going. There's very strong pressure from the environmentalists to shut it down. In recent years, it's lost some big name drivers, and along with that goes big name sponsors. I believe last year it was almost a grassroots event (not really, but compared to previous years it was). There's nothing wrong that, but that doesn't attract the sponsors with the deep pockets. No sponsors, no race.

The Mt. Washington Hillclimb had its last race in 2001, mainly because they lost their sponsor (Audi). This year they're having a 100th year anniversary in July that will feature vintage cars that raced there previously. For you (us) New Englanders, it's worth the journey to check it out.

Mt. Washington

Originally posted by Loco Honkey+Jun 22 2004, 04:03 PM-->
@Jun 22 2004, 03:45 PM
Damn.  That's badass!  :thumbsup:

Hell no. Nothing doing. "Import scene" can be done for under $2500. Cost of a real race car= way more than any ricer can afford/ want to spend ("I don't wanna scuff my Scorchers, y0!")... That, and racing is sanctioned by responsible people, who will kick your ricer ass off the stage if you try any bullshit.

You know what I mean.... I'm talking about all the people jumping on the bandwagon because they'll see it for the first time with Jesse James in it, and people who have been "in the know" for quite some time now. The race could definitely use all the public enthusiasm and support it can get though.

:thumbsup:

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal@Jun 22 2004, 09:47 PM
Chip... when is the Mt. Washington hillclimb exactly?

July 9th - 12th. Both my father and uncle raced at the 50th anniversary MW hillclimb in '54. They're going to co-drive their VW Special that my uncle broke Carroll Shelby's record with in 1961.

read this

and this at the bottom

I may try to go up, but it's a very busy week for me. Maybe I'll run up on Friday and come home on Saturday so I can AX on Sunday.

Both of the above links contain all the information on the event.

Originally posted by number9@Jun 22 2004, 11:23 PM
They're going to co-drive their VW Special that my uncle broke Carroll Shelby's record with in 1961.

wow! that half bug looking thing is still around???? and they are going to race it?!?!?! my god thats awesome.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Jun 22 2004, 10:34 PM-->
@Jun 22 2004, 11:23 PM
They're going to co-drive their VW Special that my uncle broke Carroll Shelby's record with in 1961.

wow! that half bug looking thing is still around???? and they are going to race it?!?!?! my god thats awesome.

And it's very fast, too. My uncle still races it - usually at vintage hillclimbs in PA.

He autocrosses at Bristol. He's in the #80 VW Scirocco (sp), taking me to school. ;)

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 22 2004, 10:46 PM
he needs to bring that thing to auto X. :lol:

I think he has. Its nickname is the "Bath Tub." It's famous.

Back