auto ---> manual dilemna

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

here's some background information:

i found two cars: 1.) 1998, EK9, DX, automatic, w/50k miles for $4700. 2.) 1996, EK9, DX, manual, w/70k miles for $5200. car #1 is 20 minutes from me and car #2 is 4 hours from me.

PROS: it's 2 years newer, has 20k lower miles, is $500 cheaper, would save me 8 hours of driving time, and there's the possibility that i might not even buy car #2 if i find something wrong with car (found an oil leak in the last car i was considering buying, it was an hour away :( )

CONS: car #1 is automatic <_< .

obviously, car #1 is the better deal. if i do buy car #1 i will definitely get it converted from automatic to manual.

questions:

1.) should i buy car #1 and get it converted from auto to manual OR should i buy car #2?

2.) i've heard rumors that converting the transmission causes problems with the car, is there some truth to this or does it run as if it were originally manual?

3.) if you or you know someone who has had an automatic to manual conversion done before, how much was the total cost to get it done at a shop(including all the parts you would need i.e manual tranny, etc)?

thank you for your time and consideration, google search engine is turning up nothing...

spend the ectra 500 for the manual DX, its will save you the 1500 to swap the auto to manual... trust me...
tranny - 250 or more
Clutch 150 or more
hard lines - 75
shift linkages - 65 or more
short shifter 50 or more
labor about $80/hr (around here it is atleast may be cheaper may be more who knows) its about a 15hr job or more... you do the math

Back