auto swap question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

asmallsol

Super Moderator
there is a kid at my school who is a pretty big ricer (loud ass exhaust, altezza's the works) found out from someone else that I am going to be doing a swap. Anyways, He has a auto DX 2 door and he wants something faster, however, he does not want to go through all the crap with a manual conversion (you need a diffrent pedal assembly, put all the manual crap under the hood (clutch resivior, that kind of crap). Anyways, he offered me 350 for JUST the engine. No ecu (because automatics have a gear selector chip/program in them) no tranny just the engine. So I said that I would think about it.

My question is, will this work? He will have to buy a auto EX (p27) ECU, but will his auto tranny just bolt right up to it, then we would just have to do the normal swap stuff (run wires for VTEC, stuff like that) or would I have to convert some stuff on my d16z6 to run with his auto tranny?

I took a z6 auto out of my car and put in a b16 auto...here's my take...

like what you said, you should just have to do the standard stuff...vtec wires, etc.
from what I've read-someone correct me on this if I'm wrong...the only difference between an auto vs manual motor is the cam, which shouldn't be noticable or make any consequential difference.

What ecu does he have now? I had a p28 auto with my ex and after my bro an I tried chipping it and fried it I put a p28 manual in. The difference there is the manual won't control his shift lock solenoid...don't think it'll throw a code, but he will be able to take it out of gear whereas if he had a p28 auto he wouldn't be able to do so.

Again, if I'm wrong someone correct me but I think that's about all there is to it....

Originally posted by nimblecivic@Nov 18 2003, 09:38 PM
I took a z6 auto out of my car and put in a b16 auto...here's my take...

like what you said, you should just have to do the standard stuff...vtec wires, etc.
from what I've read-someone correct me on this if I'm wrong...the only difference between an auto vs manual motor is the cam, which shouldn't be noticable or make any consequential difference.

What ecu does he have now? I had a p28 auto with my ex and after my bro an I tried chipping it and fried it I put a p28 manual in. The difference there is the manual won't control his shift lock solenoid...don't think it'll throw a code, but he will be able to take it out of gear whereas if he had a p28 auto he wouldn't be able to do so.

Again, if I'm wrong someone correct me but I think that's about all there is to it....

but that is a little diffrent. You put a whole auto swap into a full auto car. I am kinda doing a hybrid. I have read that there are a few other sensors on auto honda on there Intake manifold.

Back