Auto To Manual Started

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jeffsciv23

i just started my auto to manual swap in my 99' ex today. everything was going good until i got the autotranny out, flywheel mounted and went to bolt up the clutch an it was the wrong one. i called the company that i bought it from and they insisted that it was the the right one but i called the local part store and they got the measurements of my disk and pressure plate and told me it was the wrong one. i guess there is two differant clutch kits and the place i got it from sent me the less popular one. i got it from ECLUTCHMASTERS.COM and the want to charge me a 30% restock fee if i send it back and they won't give me the right one. but other then that everything is going just as planned. everything is done so far, all i have to do tomarrow is get the right kit for $130 and put it on and bolt up the tranny and shift linkage and i should be done because i finished all the other stuff after i found out that it was the wrong clutch. if anybody is planning this it is alot easier to take just the pedals off instead of the whole assembly and just replace those instead. i'll post more when done.

if possible.. take pics and do a write up.. this is a common question and you seem to be the first one on here doing it

Thank you pics would be mega-cool of you,I will take pics and a video on VHSC when I do mine but we wont even pull stuff off the doner 00 si until next week any help I can get on this will be a big help. And good luck!

i wasn't able to take any pics but that was almost as easy as changeing spark plugs. i finished up last night, it would have been done in one day but i forgot to get a starter for a manual because some jackass said that it wasn't needed. but once the parts store opened up i got a new one. car is running pretty good with exception of CEL because i'm still useing the auto ECU because it wouldn't start with the manual one i bought. haven't really opened her up yet because i'm rollin without a front tranny mount because the bolts from the old one are about an inch too short. oh yeah and if you are gonna do it make sure you get the bolts for the new starter before you start and get a flywheel splashguard for a manny also. the only mods i had to do is drill two holes for the shift linkage bolts on the center console. i have to get my exhaust modified because the 2 1/2 pipe is hitting my linkage. other than that everything was straight forward and fit perfectly. if you are thinking about doing this and think it's gonna be way too hard, it's not. all you need is a garage and the right tools.

thanks, bythe way does anybody have any suggestions for my CEL and ECU. i know there is a way to make it a manual ecu but don't know it.

hey man, i just posted a question about the same topic, i am swaping my ls auto to a gsr manual, i am getting the engine, tranny, ecu, can u give me a run down of the stuff i need to do and what else i need to get, i would really appreciate that alot, thanks

so you are going from ls auto to gsr manual? if so then you would need the normal stuff that you would need to do a straight forward swap plus the clutch pedal, master cylinder, clutch lines(don't try to bend your own from steel tubing from napa because they will leak, trust me) slave cylinder, brake pedal, shift linkage, shifter, shift knob and probably new mounts. i might of forgot something because i just woke up but if i can remember i'll post it.

As far as doing this swap, is it necessary to switch the brake pedal? or mess with the master brake cylinder and anything having to do with the brake at all? Also, do the plugs and wires from an auto tranny starter work as well on a manual tranny starter?

Originally posted by MXDesa@May 26 2003, 06:25 PM
As far as doing this swap, is it necessary to switch the brake pedal? or mess with the master brake cylinder and anything having to do with the brake at all? Also, do the plugs and wires from an auto tranny starter work as well on a manual tranny starter?

Yes,you have to swap it all.

Your manual ECU didn't work? Did you wire up the clutch saftey switch. You can't start up the car if you don't step on the clutch pedal, similar thing on an auto if you try to start while not in park or neutral. For this to work, this switch needs a ground. Use your repair manual and find the wire for this and just give it a ground temporaly, give it a crank to see if this work. If it does, then you have the option of wiring this to the clutch pedal. Or just keep it grounded and start the car up without the safty switch. See what happens. :D

no it's not the clutch safety switch because it turns the starter just doesn't start, that's the same thing i was thinking. but it is running fine with the auto ecu in there the only thing is i have a CEL but i don't mind that anymore.

Originally posted by jeffsciv23@May 26 2003, 11:19 PM
no it's not the clutch safety switch because it turns the starter just doesn't start, that's the same thing i was thinking. but it is running fine with the auto ecu in there the only thing is i have a CEL but i don't mind that anymore.

Im also changing over from an automatic to manual set-up. Will i need to add the cluth safety switch wires myself and run them to the ECU? Or can i use the same wires from the auto setup that keep me from starting the car if it were off and in reverse for example.?? Thanks guys, the info is appreciated

there is one important concern I am not sure if you covered this in your tranny swap, but you must use a 5 speed thorttle body and intake manifold.
there is a difference in the location and wiring of the IACV.
the auto IACV is located on the throttle body while the 5 speed has it on the back of the intake manifold.
also one is 2 wire while the other is 3 wire (forget which is which)
no changing this out, will cause Idle problems, and i believe this only applies to the d16y8

Back