auto to manual swap need help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tphan4

Im doing a auto to manual conversion....did everything ...bolt in the motor with the new mount and everything but ran into a problem:
the harness on the passenger side wouldnt connect...Obd2 harness and obd1 car....
the swap came from my 92 coupe which ran and everything bolted in fine...the only difference now is that Im doing and auto to manual conversion

the car is 92 dx hatchback (obd1)
motor is 1999 ls motor (obd2)

thanks for the help in advance...

Is the harness you speek of under the hood or in the car where the computer hooks in? If it is the one that is in the car then you need a conversion harness if you use the obd2 computer.
I also did an auto to manual conversion but mine was all obd1 stuff and everything hooked up fine.

**EDIT**
I guess when you say obd2 harness you mean main engine harness. You may need an obd1 harness. I will do a little searching for ya.

Also, I'm pretty sure you need all the same OBD electronics on the motor. Like if you have obd1 dizzy you need to use the obd1 computer.

Originally posted by b16coupe@Mar 28 2005, 07:04 PM
Also, I'm pretty sure you need all the same OBD electronics on the motor. Like if you have obd1 dizzy you need to use the obd1 computer.
[post=480005]Quoted post[/post]​

all my parts match up...

the motor ran fine in my 93 civic coupe...

for some reason though the clips on the passenger side of the car...that connects to the main harness....well all but one connect...one is like an entirely different clip

I dont think I would have to buy an 0bd1 harness...simply because it worked on my coupe no check engine light or anything..

if the harness fit in a 93 it should fit just the same way in a 92.I use a OBD2 gsr harness in my 95dx no problems at all.I have been told that only 98+ OBD2 teg harnesses fit so you are good there and again if it fit in a 93 it should be the same,maybe someone before you changed the shock tower plugs on the 92,are they the same as the 93's?

Originally posted by deth101@Mar 29 2005, 08:45 PM
if the harness fit in a 93 it should fit just the same way in a 92.I use a OBD2 gsr harness in my 95dx no problems at all.I have been told that only 98+ OBD2 teg harnesses fit so you are good there and again if it fit in a 93 it should be the same,maybe someone before you changed the shock tower plugs on the 92,are they the same as the 93's?
[post=480474]Quoted post[/post]​

yea except the 93 ex was a manual coupe and the 92 dx is a automatic hatch so I think this could be the problem...

the plugs are still the same size and shape just minor diff in the wiring inside the plug.and mine was auto also so I know thats not it.

Originally posted by deth101@Mar 31 2005, 08:07 PM
the plugs are still the same size and shape just minor diff in the wiring inside the plug.and mine was auto also so I know thats not it.
[post=481139]Quoted post[/post]​

sweet i resolve the problem by pulling out the plastic stuck inside....Thanks for all the help...

damn an auto expert...do I need to do any other wiring? like i heard someone that I had to re wire the auto somehow to tricking the computer that it is in park in order to release my key?

also how do I wire a clutch safety release....its required at the track...right now I should be able to start the car without the clutch down...

I cant totaly remember which plug it is but the clutch switch is one of the connectors on your pedal to the large black and white wire and the large black and yellow from the auto shifter harness and for the key interlock all I had to do was pull the connector off of the blue 3.5hx5lx1.5w box under the driver dash but the box trick dosnt work for everybody.What mount did you use?

I'm kinda busy today,its my finacee's b-day.I'll double check the wiring in my car for the clutch pedal tomorrow for ya,hopefully you can wait so I can be sure of the wire color.

ok its the top plug on the clutch pedal,wire it to the two large gauge wires coming off of the auto shifter harness,I was told it dosnt matter which way the wires run.mine worked first time.

Back