Auto Tranny on Motor Swap? maybe...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

turbosupra

Hey Honda Guru's!

I've got some questions...

I'm in the process gearing up for my girlfriend's 4-door 95 LX motor swap. She doesn't need any kinda of insane power, so we're looking at the B16A. I'm such a nice boyfriend, doing her motor swap before my 92 Hatch's. lol

Anyways, she's not to keen on the 5-speed, but if I put one in there, she'll learn to drive it. So I wanna know two things:

How difficult is a 5-speed swap? I assume I need a transmission, flywheel, clutch hydraluics (master and slave), pedal, lines, and any needed linkages. Does it all just bolt up, are the holes or punch-outs there? I know in the MKIII Supras, the punch outs are there, it's a simple conversion.

And secondly, If I swap the B16A into the 4D LX, I can only assume that transmission will be incorrectly geared for that motor. That tranny already robs WAY too much power from her car. Any other solutions and options I can consider if she's hellbent on keeping the auto? For example, an Integra Auto Tranny, or something of the like?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Dave

I just did a 5sp b16 swap into my automatic 93 hatch.

For starters, the frame mount on the passenger side is longer and at an angle on an automatic. I ordered the frame bracket from Honda ($20ish) and had a buddy remove the old one and weld in the new.

The holes in the floor for an auto are larger than for a 5spd, I got the floor piece for a 5spd from a bone yard and drilled and screwed it over top the exisiting holes.

Wiring: The wire harness going to the auto shifter has a blk/red stripe wire and a blk/wht stripe wire, splice them together (they are the two largest wires in that harness). The keyswitch solenoid needs disconnected, it is on the bottomside of the steer column near the keyswitch (the solenoid prevents the key from being removed if the car is not in park). There is an interlock box on the floorboard in the left foot area (mine was blue and said "interlock" on it) disconnect it and remove the box to allow for clutch pedal travel.

The holes for the clutch pedals and lines are already there, and installing the lines was not to difficult with the engine removed. There are two sections of clutch line on the 92-95 Civic. I ran only the section from the clutch master cylinder to the fire wall and the connected the end right to the tranny hose.

I'm not sure about a Teg auto tranny if you are going to stay with an auto. Email me at lfulks@kraft.com if you have more questions...I'd be glad to help you anyway I can.

Lance

Sweet, good info, the swap sounds fairly painless. Almost as painless as the 3rd Gen Supras are.

I'm still trying to convince the little lady into the 5-speed, she's pretty hellbent on the auto because it requires 'less effort' to drive, lol.

Hopefully someone has info on motoswapping with an auto as well.

Thanks man!

No problem...

The wiring change will allow for the car to be started WITHOUT the clutch being depressed. Tell her to be careful...don't want the car going through the garage wall :lol:

Back