automatic b16 in to a 98 civic hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sleap

ok here we go ive been asking around and i cant get a good answer
i have a 98 civic hatch dx with an auto tranny i want to but a b16 into it with an auto and it has to be a obd2 engine and ecu or my car will not pass nh state inspection what can i do if anything

Yes, it is definitely possible. It's been done before. You can use the trasmissions and ECUs from JDM automatic GSRs.

or, usdm 94+ LS transmissions as well.... but gearing will suffer.
try to score a usdm 99-00 civic si (EM1) long block.

Quoted post[/post]]
do i need a tcm or just use a auto ecu

crap, forgot about that.

you'll need an automatic ecu. obd2a to plug into your car, obd2b with a conversion harness.

but.... that doesn't exist. at least not here in the states. i don't know if the jdm obd2 ecus will be able to be read by scan tools at the ref's. In fact, i'd put my money on it NOT working....

:cry:

a manual conversion will make your life much easier, because there's plenty of manual b-series obd2 ecus around here in the states.
and your car will be quicker too :p

Why not just use a P28 auto? Would that work?

He could get a B16 long block, LS auto tranny, and a P28 automatic ecu. Wouldn't that work? His gearing would suck of course, but it would run properly.

Is it easy to find one? I don't see many sites advertising GSR engines with automatic tranny's and ecu's. I'm sure Hmotors could hook him up though... Like I said in my first post.

does anyone know if jdm obd2 ecus can be read by scan tools

so i just got off the phone with hmotorsonline they said b16 obd2 autos dont exsist and finding a auto b18 vtec is near impossible so now what

Like I said....... Just get the B16 long block ($900.00) with an LS tranny and a p28 automatic ecu. That will work. You're gonna need axles, shift linkage, motor mounts (99-00 Civic Si) and do some wiring, but shouldn't be too difficult. Good luck, but if you can get your hands on a GSR with auto tranny, go for that.

but do i also need the tcm from the ls and will the ls ecu and tcm allow the engine ti rev high enough to use vtec like it should or is it gunna only let me rev to the red line of the ls motor

also what about vtec the ls auto ecu is non vetc or does that matter

The LS ecu is non-vtec.... It will not make your Vtec work.

There are automatic OBD 2 vtec ecu's.... In Japan. Since you're trying to stay OBD-2, for emissions, your best option would be to convert it to a 5 speed. You're swap would be so much easier if you did.

I had a 95 civic with a b16a automatic and it sucked! My opinion if your not going to swap a 5spd in also I'd just leave it alone.

What about swapping in an H22 with an auto trans.? Would that pass state emissions?

Also, check out levelten.com, they have stuff that make auto transmissions stronger and shift quicker than a

manual.

Quoted post[/post]]
how hard is it to put an h22 in my car

haha, it's a pain in the ass. don't even mess with it. if you have to ask how hard it is to do, it's way past doing it yourself. h22 swaps are a pain in the ass. don't even mess with it. either get a b16 or b18 and just get the auto tranny. they are going to be the easiest thing to do unless you do a auto-to-manual conversion. the conversion will cost about $400 to pay someone to do it. that is the route i would personally go.

Do the integra gs ans rs transmissions have shorter gearing or is it the same as an ls?

Because if they're shorter couldnt he just use one of those transmissions instead of the ls auto?

Quoted post[/post]]
Do the integra gs ans rs transmissions have shorter gearing or is it the same as an ls?

Because if they're shorter couldnt he just use one of those transmissions instead of the ls auto?

same motor,same tranny. so yes, he could use a swap from an ls/rs/gs

Back