Automatic transmission slipping??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

wagon

Sorry to start off my stay here with a question, but here goes...

I'm working with a 95 accord 4-cylinder that has a 97 accord 4-cylinder engine and transmission (automatic). I spent the evening replacing the driver's side CV shaft and the lower ball joint. On the ride back home from where I was doing the work, I noticed that the shifts were starting to get really soft... then, there would be a gap between shifts when the RPM's just climbed, but the shift was delayed for a second... by the time I got home, it got to a point where it's uncertain whether or not the car will make the attempted shift, and the RPM climbing/lack of acceleration thing kicks in during general acceleration, climbing hills, etc... I get the strong feeling that I'm fucked.

Before today, the shifts were a bit rough or abrupt, but it was a really positive engagement... night and day difference between yesterday (before breaking the ball joint, and in the process, the CV shaft too) and after working on the car...

I reused the transmission fluid that I took out while doing the work today, and it was dark brown... but this is, of course, the same transmission fluid that was in there and working fine only a day before.

What could I have done in the process of replacing the CV shaft that could cause this? Any idea what the situation likely is as of right now?

I know nobody here's got magic psychic abilities, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

sounds like your low on tranny fluid, when you pull a CV and do not put the new one back in right it will leak. i would check your tranny fluid before driving again... put the car on a level surface and idle it to check that. If that dose not fix stuff i would take the car to a shop and have them flush your transmition you never get all the fuild out of a automatic by taking the pan off and sometimes that makes matters worse. I change the tranny fluid in my girls car every 12k miles, and in mine every 20k or so.

Transmission fluid replaced, levels double-checked... problem as bad as ever :(

Thanks for the advice, though...

Transmission fluid replaced, levels double-checked... problem as bad as ever :(

Thanks for the advice, though...

go to a tranny shop and have them look at it, no one here is good with trannys i bet. A flush will cure alot of problems, but before you go to a tranny shop check some of the lines on your tranny there should be a vac line that looks clear by the back of the tranny. check for clogs if so replace it dont clean it.

Back