1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Average jogging times?

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by K2e2vin, Feb 3, 2011.

1. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

So in high school I was doing 2 miles in about 14-15 minutes(track/flat land), now I'm at 37mins for 3.5-3.6 miles(hills; ~10:30min/mi average pace, about 50m total climb). Anyone else jog and does your "real" time vary that much from flat land?

Right now I'm a little overweight, but 3-minute/mi difference seems huge. Am I that much slower?

2. FLounder

FLounder power hungry VIP

are you able to jog 3 miles without stopping and walking any? if so you are in better shape than most people. 10+ mins a mile does seem awfully slow.

when i was in highschool i was able to click off a 6 min mile pretty easy, these days i cant even run a whole mile so dont feel too bad. sad thing is that i am probably only 10lbs overweight tops.

3. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

last time i was at the gym with kristen i ran a mile in just over 7 minutes on the treadmill. not too horrible.

im about 25lbs overweight.

4. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

The route I'm running right now, no. I can only go about 2.5 mi before I walk a couple feet then continue jogging. When I go jogging at the lake, yes(it's flatter).

I can fly on the treadmill so I don't even bother with that anymore.

5. 95b16coupe

95b16coupe New Member

you should average 8-9 minute miles. if you are in shape, you should average 7-7:30. you will get a good variance.

6. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

i'll have to hit the treadmill to see what kind of time i get for 1 mile

last i remember i was "jogging" at 2.5 mph (treadmill set speed, prob a fast walk for most)
    slow as shit but it was rough enough on my knees at that pace
    gooooooooo old age + knee injuries

7. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

Sounds good, I'm about 18lbs over my goal weight and I'm not a tall person either(I'm at 168lb right now, trying to cut down to 150).

I stopped using a treadmill a while ago because I ran a mile in about 6mins and at the time I knew I couldn't do that on the track.

I actually had knee problems throughout middle and high school, and it just stopped when I was around 19-20.

8. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

I have a treadmill ...but can't run or jog on it..have a bad hip... I can't make a kicking motion without falling on the ground in pain..sux

9. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

best i ever did in the mile run in highschool was 8:40

and that was when i was biking hardcore.

10. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

11. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

12. BigJ

BigJ I'm just about that action Boss. VIP

Practice makes perfect man.

I haven't ran in over 6 months until last week playing some tackle football with the guys. I was very very sore and bruised up a couple days later, but during play I had it together.

I have no idea what I can run right now as I've gained about 30 lbs since september. Last time I ran(before bulking in august) I was running 6 miles in 42-45 minutes ish.

13. BrutalB83

BrutalB83 Brutal Moderator Moderator VIP

For me, it's all about the distance I'm running. I can fairly easily crank out a 6 minute something mile (especially over flat terrain) if I'm only doing a mile or maybe two total. Longer distances though my time slows considerably. I did a half-marathon (13 miles) this past fall and finished around 1 hour, 45 minutes, so that's what? About 8 minute miles? When I do long distances during training (like 8 miles plus) I slow it down even more, usually to about 10 minutes a mile.

It is possible to keep your pace up over uneven terrain though. You just have to be constantly be conscious of the fact that you need to compensate a bit...

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted