Avian Flu and NPR

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
So i was listening to NPR this morning and they were discussing the bird flu etc etc
few poll type questions...

Do you think the avian flu is the next pandemic? or do you think its fear mongering?

it was stated that the 1918 pandemic was a variant of avian flu

they also said that britian is stockpiling enough vaccine(tamiflu) to vacinate 50% of its population

the US on the other hand, is said to stockpile enough to vacinate half of 1% of its population...

discuss...

Assuming that it IS a threat - that half a percent should be just enough to vaccinate politicians and their families. It's bullshit.

If it's the threat they're saying it is, why aren't we mobilizing in preparation?

Last I heard he was pushing US vaccine makers to ramp up production...

Sounds like a variation on concentration camps to me.

I keep saying - people will only be pushed so far.

don't eat raw chicken or under cooked eggs, and you'll be fine. in it's current state, it is NOT passed from human to human.
there are 5 mutations the strain has to go through in order to meet the strain that was the 1918 epidemic.

i dont see it happeneing... there's not enough cases of it to fully harvest the mutation.

and of the cases, the people that attracted the virus had direct contact with the birds...lol chickenphuckers [/supertroopers] so it really isn't on my worry list just yet. Once it does (if it does) starts mutating to be transferred from human to human is when I'll start my search for the medication :)

Also,
Approximately 30-60k people die each year in the US from the FLU alone...

im about as worried about this as i was worried about SARS and west nile insefulitus..... NOT AT ALL

medicine has come a long way since 1918
the chance of this shit killing off millions of people is pretty slim
and just like sars or west nile im sure its mostly the very young, very old or people with otherwise weakened immune systems that are at risk of dieing from this shit
:shrug2:
not overly concerned at this point

Back