Axle Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ok so after completing my swap (a 99 gsr motor and tranny w/axles) into my 95 civic, I took it out for its first drive. and the passenger side axle came out of the tranny when I made a left turn. It came out just enough so that the grooves on the axle wouldnt catch with the grooves in the tranny so I had to get the car towed back home. I thought it was a bad axle so I went to Autozone and bought a 99 integra passenger side axle. My question is.. the guys at Autozone say that I need to get the 99 gsr axle which is designed for ABS, which has the ABS spindle on it,(since the car from which the motor and tranny came out of had ABS), but Ive noticed that it is a quarter inch shorter than the non-ABS axle from a 99 gsr, so which one do I use?? I went ahead and purchased the non-ABS axle since it was longer, ( I think that since its longer that it wont come out of the tranny and because my civic doesnt have ABS) but the guys at Autozone said the ABS axle has more grooves on the axle than the non-ABS one.. Is that true? it doesnt seem like it? Will there be a problem if I use the NON-abs Axle??

The difference between ABS and non ABS is the ABS ring at the end of the out board joint axle, which you can pop on and off. The axles are the same length and have the same number of splines, the guys at autozone are fucktards and probably sold you the wrong one.

Maybe you didn't snap it past the snap ring?

hmm, I am pretty sure I seated the axle properly into the tranny. most likely just a bad axle because the one I put in has been running fine (put about 100 miles on it today).. I pulled out the measuring tape and found out that the 99 gsr axle with abs is 1/4" shorter at the wheel end than the non-abs axle. go figure... maybe just a fluke, they should be the same length...

According to the places I talked to that make axles they are the same. Where are you measureing from?

I am measuring tip to tip, both axles are set straight and then measured

Back