axle replacement

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mustang67n

im finishing up my SOHC ZC swap into my '89 dx. and right now im trying to put the axles back into the tranny.. i can get them to go about half way, maybe a bit more, then they just wont go any further! is there any tricks to getting 'em in the rest of hte way? or should i just take a hammer to them?

also.. while im at it. ive got all the engine wrapped up and stuff and it turns over no problem. it just wont start. it goes, and sounds like it wants to fire, but just wont. im thinking my timing belt might be off a few teeth. does that sound about right? i know im getting fuel in there, and spark so its gotta be timing right?

I had the same issue, but theres nothing wrong with your axles.
The snap ring on the axle is just tuff to get in there. It took me under the car pushing with all my might and my brother pushing on the outside of the axle to get it in there. we had to kind of violently 'jerk' it in there...

That ring can be difficult, but don't be afraid to push on the axle. just be carefull not to pull the CV parts and such out of order... but it's not made of glass...

thanks man! i got under there with one hand on the axle and hte other on the trans. and it finally snapped into place!

now im having a REALLY hard time getting the passenger side axle to go into the hub!!

also, it looks like my steering knuckle joints are fucked.. the little rubber boot thing is hanging off of them :-/ im guessing i should replace these huh?

hmm... I guess so.. I couldn't really help you out with steering boots/mechanism's all that much.. I've never had to mess with them.
GL anyway.

btw, I had more trouble with the smaller pass. side one too... you just have to 'man' it in there...

Back