axles in a 92 tegra

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Slammed90Lude

so when i wanna replace the right axle the tegra this weekend, all i do is pop off the axle nut and pull the wheel hub assembly out and then pull the axle out of the tranny? or am i missing a step- can someone give me a quick summary

Make sure you have a really big hammer to knock the lower ball joint loose. It's a tapered joint, and is a biatch! Do not use a pickle fork unless you want to replace the boot over the ball joint. Oh yeah, you have to slam the axle into the differential, so that the split ring on the tip of the axle will seat right in the tranny. Just my two cents.

yup, i fucked mylower ball joint up, cant even screw the castle nut on that biznatch any more..it just keeps spinnin and spinnin. And i dont know how to get that shit out so when I to get the bolt that wont ome out "out" i'll get that replaced too.

anyone else, i just wanna make sure i do this right, never had to do ana xle before

1 Remove rim center cap (of you have one)
2 remove axle nut
3 jack the car up, and remove the tire
4 remove the lower ball joint cotter pin, and nut
5 pop out the lower ball joint
6 tap the old axle out of the rotor
7 use a screw drive, or SOMETHING, to pop out the axle from the
differential.
8 install Exact opposite of removal

Shouldnt take too long, even for someone with little to no experience.

just remember #5 is the crucial part. knock the joint loose by applying a downward blow on the control arm, not the hub, the ball joint or anything else, otherwise you will mess something up. A flat pry bar works good to pop the axle loose from the diff. If you are doing the right axle, remember to drain the trans, or you'll have a mess on your hands real quick. 92civic, just separate the rest of your hub from the upper control arm, and take it down to a tire shop, they usually can press in a new ball joint for about 30-40 bucks, just make sure they give you the right boot for it.

Thanks mike, you think autozone or one of those places will do it?

Only if they have like a ten ton hydraulic press and access to the ball joint you are looking for. I took mine to a tire shop, because they work on suspension components all the time. Maybe pep boys would do it, providing you have a pep boys, I don't really know where you live, and its a culture shock to me when i hear people back east wondering what jack in the box is and stuff like that. Try a tire shop though, that's your best bet. I speak from personal experience, trying to push the joint apart with a ball joint separator, which obviously didn't do anything except mess up the threads. Hope this helps, and gives ample warning to the guy that started this thread. That joint is on there TIGHT!

you guys missed a crucial part. DRAIN THE TRANNY FIRST! you don't want to pull the axle out and all that oil just spill. oil spills are the worst. also, i work at autozone and the part # on the passenger side axle is 8000 i believe. it's also a life time warranty. can't beat that.

yup im from jersey...we have pep boys over here, i was actually gonna try the ball joint seperator thing but now i'll just bring it somewhere. BTW what the hell is a jack in the box?

Autozone axles are the shit and will be the best $75 youll spend on some stock axles.

I think I stated to drain the tranny in one of my previous posts. It is only necessary if you are changing the right halfshaft. If you are changing the left one, you still have the intermediate shaft sticking into the tranny, so nothings gonna come out. Jack in the box is a fast food restaurant like buger king

Originally posted by rudeludenotmeanthough@Dec 4 2003, 09:38 PM

use a screw drive, or SOMETHING, to pop out the axle from the
differential.

To clarify, this is important. Just a light prying until it pops out. If you "pull" it out, as you stated, you will sperate the inner joint and have to take the axle apart and re-boot it before you can use it, no pulling.

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Dec 4 2003, 06:18 PM
yup, i fucked mylower ball joint up, cant even screw the castle nut on that biznatch any more..it just keeps spinnin and spinnin. And i dont know how to get that shit out so when I to get the bolt that wont ome out "out" i'll get that replaced too.

you can do a few things, leave the car on the ground and use the load of the car to hold the ball joint still and break the bolt loose, clamp the ball joint down to load it, or if it comes part way off and then spins, use some needle nose vice grips to hold the shaft in place (between the lower arm, not on the threads) while breaking the nut off. I've had this happen on a ton of cars and is always a bitch

i was away for the weekend, but thanks boys, just wanted to be sure i did everything in the right order- If it was my car i would have just hacked into it and figured it out as I went, but it's my girl's car and....well....you all know what i mean

Back