B series shift linkage question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

seanjuan

this summer when my mechanic pulled my D he must have lost the two spacers that when on either side of the bearings in the base of my shift lever (solo short throw with abec7's)

because there are no spacers the shifter will rattle against the linkage which is highly annoying so I pulled it apart to fix it and am wondering why there are those two cylindrical weights welded on to the end of the link?

the weight on the outside isn't a prob but their is an inside one that is right behind the base of the shifter and the shifter is hitting that so I was wondering if I could just cut it off withough any probs

if that is too confusing I'll take some pics of what I'm talking about

has anyone else run into a rattly shifter after doing a B swap?
how did you solve the prob?

i THINK what your talking about is the stop for reverse. if thats what it is, DO NOT cut that off. get some pics.

Pics plz, I read the thread twice, trying it imagine what you are talking about...Once we get some pics, we can help.

here is a pic I found of the linkage
I couldn't link the pic I circle but maybe this one makes sense
otherwise click here

I'll take an actually pic of mine later but maybe this will answer the question

thanks
Sean

shifter.jpg

lol, that's part of the linkage going to the tranny, or at least the one by it, (can't remember off the top of my head) Leave it on.

I believe that is a counter balance weight, it helps balance the linkage

I have the same problem on my car, 94 ex w/JDM b16, rattles against exhaust, just enough to be annoying

what you can do is try adjusting the exhaust hangaers tso that your exhaust will hang slightly lower, I have not done it to my car yet, just waiting to see what other people have done

you could prbably cut off the weights, but it might throw off the balance of the linkage, might want to try other options before cutting weights off

here are some better shots of my situation (ran home during lunch to get these)

here is just the end of the shift linkage I'm talking about (should that bracket be square or is it suposed to be angled funny?
linkend.JPG

here is the same shot with the shifter in place (see the gaps on either side?) and see the spot where the blue anodizing came off from hitting the weight?
link_shifter.JPG

same shot as above with shifter in different position
link_shifter2.JPG

so I'll be puting some sort of spacers in to keep the shifter from moving side to side, but I'm wondering if I should cut off that middle weight or maybe just grind it down a bit with the dremel?

ok pics fixed. ummm i still wouldnt cut anything off

pics should have worked just fine the whole time, they are linked from my website (not my harddrive :D )

so they only function of those cylinders is to counterweight the shifter?
maybe I will just grind the inside edge down a bit so that it won't hit my shifter

Back