b series swap info for a 96 civic hx

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

pacsta

I need to know if i can switch out my d16y5 for a b20 or possibly a b16a
i also need to know if its easy or not
i also need to know if a bseries would work with an automatic cvt trannie
my email is paco_taco_30@hotmail.com, if you know anything please e mail me

mikez: STFU, I didn't know shit before my swap...and it turned out great.

ok now, back to business. pacsta:
1st do a search on this site for b series swaps in an EG.

The swap isn't that hard if you don't have to change OBD (the electronics system type). You want to stick with an OBD1 motor, so a b16 Sir II motor (b16a2) would be better than a b16, or you could go with a GSR motor as long as it is from the right year. I did my swap with NO prior car experience short of changing oil.

No a b series motor WILL NOT work with a d series cvt tranny. However, most swaps come with a transmission, so its not that big a deal.

You will need:
Mounts (Hasport peferably, DONT get ebay shit.)
Shift Linkage (if you're swapping a 5-spd instead of an auto)
wiring (not too bad, proably have to wire up VTEC)

You should also replace the water pump, timing belt, clutch, distributor, spark plugs, and wires.

I don't know about any specifics as far as the HX goes. My car is a 90 CRX HF, and I have NO experince working on newer civics. I hope I helped a little.

Just remeber to do reasearch on your own. Don't expect people here to hand feed you all the info you need. I did over a year of research before doing my swap and I found all the best sites overviewing my swap. You should do the same.

Good luck.

Back