b16 block + gsr head turbo setup...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

b16stalyun

i got a gsr head that i want to use on my b16 block. from what ive read the gsr head will up my compression, not lower it. i thought becuase it was for a bigger motor that it *should* lower the compression. ive heard the gsr head also flows better mid-range, but the b16 head flows better up top. im looking for some feedback on this setup. im in the process of getting the parts ordered to rebuild the head with oem parts w/ arp head studs.

any feedback?

I could have sworn that I read somewhere around here that it's hard to use the GSR head on a B16 block. Search around in the forums. That is your best bet.

:werd: the GSR head raises compression because it has a smaller combustion chamber, but Ive never heard of anyone putting it on a B16 block. let me know how it goes

Whats your reason for changing heads? I ask because your not gunna get any real gain from swapping heads, youll just be throwin money away. Just my .02

Everything in your original post is correct. A B16 head would be better in your situation but I assume you have what you have because it was laying around or you bought it for cheap. I'm pretty sure it will work, my only concern would be how high it will bump the compression.

How about selling your B16 block and getting a B18 instead? That way it will be an easy match and you'll gain more from it. :D

yea i definitally want to get a ls/vtec setup eventually. right now im just trying to get a fresh head on my car so it will stop burning oil. (valve stem seals). plus ive seen the flow charts for b16head and b18 head. they are almost identical. b16 has alittle more flow up top and the b18 head has alittle more flow mid range. i probably wont even know the difference. plus ill have the b16 head out of the car and laying around for me to rebuild while im using the b18 head.

Back